Expanding Replies in Firefox 47.0 is erratic

Just chiming in to say that I’m having the same issue on chrome. Collapsing and re-expanding replies very rarely works, usually it just scrolls the page to some random point (probably not really random, but I can’t deduce a pattern). And as often as not, closing already expanded replies just breaks the expand button (i.e. nothing happens when I click it). And sometimes the whole thing just lags – replies won’t expand at all, new comments don’t load when I scroll to bottom of page, etc.

Assumed it was just lag until I noticed the duplicated replies.

In short, threaded view is pretty much broken for me.

1 Like

Which browser, (make and model are helpful)?

1 Like

And on this article, Pickup truck driver wants you to "Rember Perl Horber", the same few posts just repeat over and over and over, no matter how long I scroll down. Note the difference in scale between the post-count scroll indicator and the browser’s scroll bar.

I’m using chrome Version 51.0.2704.103 m, if that helps.

1 Like

Which OS? That can be helpful. I ask out of my IT-Scrub curiosity.

Windows 7, on this box.

1 Like

stuck in a horber! loop. it fit’s, maybe more a feature and not a bug?

I have also the issue with an erratic reply expanding (and with expanded replies the actual reply button often ceases to work) - it feels more like a discourse issue, I see this since a few days on different machines and browsers (whatever FF version from Fedora 24 repo, FF 45 (base for the current tor browser), whatever FF version from Fedora 22 repo last week before I upgraded my laptop)

1 Like

Yeah, this is definitely not browser-dependent @codinghorror. We have this happening on both Chrome and Firefox. And I think Safari too. So it’s acting mostly like a site code problem, not a stupid browser problem.

1 Like

Ooops, my bad:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0

1 Like

I’ve tried to reproduce this in Chrome 51 and Firefox 47 but can’t seem to. Is there a topic where it always happens when you click on a certain place?

It seems to be wose in longer topics, and especially worse when there’s a lot of replies on the button. So a post with 6 replies tends to “go bad” and get the clone bug quicker than a 2 reply expansion. But I’ve been seeing this everywhere.

Yeah, it’s all over. I thought at first it was the old ‘disappearing reply’ thing, where peeps are hitting reply more than once cos their post hasn’t appeared, but it looks weirder than that.

I’ve been seeing this issue on Firefox too. An interesting follow-on is that after seeing this error the display of messages on the thread often chokes as well - if I scroll down from the point where I was trying to expand replies, it will just stop at some arbitrary point as though that’s the end of the thread even though I know there’s still more to see.

I’ve been seeing the same results from expanding from the reply (to see the messages it was a reply to) also.

5 Likes

It’s inconsistent but across all threads. Except when it does feel like loading responses, every time it momentarily shows all responses before replacing all responses with the last response n-times.

I’m operating on the theory that it’s related to the DDoS.

(Latest production Chrome on latest production Mac OS X. On my phone right now so I can’t get exact version numbers but it does the same stuff on my phone which runs stock Android Lollipop with latest Moto X 2nd gen available updates and Chrome 51.0.2704.81. Same behavior on wifi as LTE.)

Just did on @Wanderfound’s post #114 in the Grandmother thread about kid spraying water. When l looked at the original post, it cloned @Jilly’s post. I’M using Chrome 51…81on an Android 4.2.2 mini-tablet.

It also just stacked the prior posts for @japhroaig’s reply in the dating lounge thread, then collapsed, and then cloned. His was the last response I saw (response to @chgoliz, I believe).

I just triggered it in this thread, just by clicking around on the replies a bit…

It seems to do the “flip” to showing duplicates rather than the actual replies either after about 20 seconds, or after I scroll the page at all, whichever comes first…

3 Likes

I’ve been seeing that a lot more often that I’ve seen the repeating reply error. I can’t say for sure that I’ve ever seen it on a thread where I hadn’t expanded the replies at some point. I wonder if I’ve been closing the expanded replies before they’ve repeated, but that’s still enough to trigger the thread choke.

Whoa I just got one, so weird! Trying to figure out what happened.

4 Likes

Whew. I was starting to think it you were going to think we are all whacked.

2 Likes

That’s happened to me too, on the Stolen Goods/GPS thread. Of course, it had to do with @codinghorror’s response to @popobawa4u’s “discussion” about what really constitutes theft. It would not let me scroll down further. I had to leave and reenter thread in order finish reading.

1 Like