Expensive underground "sleeping pods" proposed to house San Franciscans

You are describing The Borg.

3 Likes
4 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Despite assurances from the developer, there is no way this concept isn’t a stack of code violations taller than the proposed apartment complexes themselves.

6 Likes

Always thought TNG and Voyager writers missed a big opportunity with the Borg. If the Borg were a super-happy, joyful collective where everyone was eagerly and earnestly thriving, the ethics of assimilation and opposing it would have gotten much funkier.

12 Likes

“Interesting” idea.

9 Likes

I suppose the Borg could have made people enjoy their “tasks”, but I think that misses the bigger picture of what the Borg were. I think the writters made a mistake with having a very “human” feeling queen running everything. I really wanted to see it as a nebulous AI driven on efficiency and oneness.

Serenity nailed the let’s make everyone not hate their life so much, dear God what have we done scenario.

9 Likes

Even more podlike than the current aPODments that are the rage in Seattle. Which are not all that bad. A spacious enough bed room with enough area for a desk or whatever and a private bathroom. The kitchen area is shared.
If I were a single guy relocating on a 6 to 12 month contract something like those would be appealing but a $1000/month for a fancy capsule hotel. Not so much.

11 Likes

Apparently this movement has been building in the Bay for some time …

1 Like

In Kansas you need a hell of a lot more than 400 acres to not see a neighbor.

7 Likes

At least 40 acres and a mule.

4 Likes

This is totally reasonable. Everyone go live in San Francisco… and leave Oakland alone. Oakland is terrible, and full of crime. Nobody could possibly want to live in Oakland. Don’t bring your facetwittartup bs to this awful, terrible, dangerous side of the bay. Please stay in SF.

11 Likes

In San Francisco any additional space where a human being is allowed to exist is an improvement

These pods might be lame but the alternative is a tent on the street or commuting from 100 miles away

2 Likes

/starts wrapping body in old USB cables knotted with cat-5

3 Likes

Minimum wage is SF is now $15/hr. Assume you get to keep $12 after withholding and whatever. That means you only have to put HALF your take-home pay into the rent for the cheaper sleeping pod option. Bargain!

(I’m going to take a guess that the cheaper pods are the ones on the bottom, whereas the relatively-affluent basement dwellers pay more for the top bunk.)

4 Likes

Concentric hedgerows and windbreaks combined with aggressively trained herds of antelope should do the trick.

6 Likes

Or these:

3 Likes

YKINMKBYKIOK

You pay extra for rooms above the water table.

6 Likes

And the code of the pods is: Don’t make waves!

3 Likes

Approve

10 Likes