Experience retro Americana meals in these 17 diners

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/24/experience-retro-americana-meals-in-these-17-diners.html

So I go into this article thinking I’d only use it for future travels, and it turns out one of the ones listed is within walking distance - Kitty’s Cafe. They say limited indoor seating, but really, there’s none. They have a small car-port like structure next to the building with tables and chairs, but aside from some fans, no climate control there. The foods damn good, though.

7 Likes

Contributed by Popkin.

4 Likes

( link doesn’t onebox well but bbs won’t let me delete it )

From the linked article:

Today, there are some 7,000 diners scattered across the United States

Well…6,500 diners are scattered across the United States. The remaining 500 are all in New Jersey. Diners are as ubiquitous here as Starbucks in Seattle. I thought it was great when I first moved here, but I’m kinda over it, to be honest. Even at the best diners, the food is…fine. It’s fine. This is not Michelin star dining. At most of the diners, the food is edible. Also, disinterested to downright rude service seems to be more common than good service. Probably because the servers are all underpaid and overworked. I’m not sure why the diner has remained so prevelant in New Jersey when casual and fast casual chains have taken over everywhere else. Maybe for the same reason you still can’t pump your own gas here. Or make a left turn. New Jersey is weird, y’all.

4 Likes

Can confirm Paper Moon in Baltimore is just good weird fun with decent comfort food. The whole surrounding neighborhood is quirky and fun TBH.

Go for the pictures and stay for the milkshakes.

2 Likes

Is this a nice picture or what.

6 Likes

I cannot wait to go to Papermoon next time I am in MD.

2 Likes

Gmaps says Kitty’s is “temporarily closed” – can you confirm?

1 Like

I wish someone would do a photobook of these places before they disappear. It reminds me a bit of Tokyo Jazz Cafes.

I’ve written so many scenes in the fictional “corner diner” or “Midnight Diner” and I’ve never actually been in one, except an “hommage” diner in Liverpool.

1 Like

We drove to Flagstaff last fall and I really, really, really wanted to try out a cold treat from Degadillo’s, but they close at 6 pm. We left at noon and as fast as we drove, we just couldn’t get there in less six hours.

Someday…

2 Likes

It is, for renovations. Should be reopening real soon though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.