Explaining the relationship between Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' Lt. La'An and Khan from ST: TOS

Skippy, “Give me your pain! Mmmm!”, from Star Trek V?

2 Likes

Yep, that’s the one

1 Like

The actor potraying La’an, Christina Chong, who has a British mother and Chinese dad, spoke in an interview that she was able to use her own experience of classmates being horrible and racist because of her name Chong. As an adolescent, she found the name embarrassing, and suffered abuse from it, but it’s still the name she uses professionally today.

5 Likes

Oh, the incels are NOT happy about the number of women on the show! Heaven’s above! Star Trek is becoming woke! No kids, it was always woke for whatever time period it was produced in.

8 Likes

She also named River Song in Doctor Who. Some serious scifi cred she is getting.

4 Likes

Her name is the equivalent of “Hitler” (of the 22nd century). She would have done well to just change her name and move on.

I thought they were gonna get into the real story behind “Khan Noonien Singh”: that during WW2, Gene Roddenberry made a friend in South Pacific by that name and later lost touch with him. He thought if he wrote the name into a screenplay, the real Noonien Singh might reach out to him.

6 Likes

I was here to say just that. Generally speaking in 2022, if you’ve got the last name of Hitler, you’ve made that choice for a reason. On the subject of La’an, if you see your kid is getting crap because of your last name, I would assume you did as well. I really don’t see why an ancestor wouldn’t have changed it between the end of the Eugenics Wars and ST: SNW.

1 Like

It was dumb and unnecessary for that show to wrap up Dr. Arik Soong’s story with “maybe I’ll try going into cybernetics next” as a clear reference to how his descendant would one day create Data.

How many tech geniuses based their career path on what their great-grandparent did for a living? It’s not like Steve Jobs came from a long line of abacus makers or something.

It has kind of become the thing with the Soong family line. Picard S1 and S2 continued it on both ends. S2 even laid the ground work for where the Soong in Enterprise got his start.

I am a 4th generation carpenter who learned from my father, who learned from his who learned from his. How is the Soong line any different?

It is also kind of a Star Trek thing is it not? Look who played Kirk’s older brother (not a twin) in TOS.

latest

At least for Picard the Soong daughter made sense genetically (since her android version was created from Data “dna”) Noonien defintinaly seemed like the kind of guy would include that.And Laris, well my head canon says that the Watcher romulan is actually Laris traveled back in time to help Picard.

If it took four generations of carpenters before anyone in your family finally cracked the secret to building a house I’d be thoroughly impressed with the level of intergenerational commitment on display.

1 Like

Sigh.

Of course not, but the tools and skills of all four of us have changed over time with each of us creating more intricate and beautiful things. Maybe my grandson will figure out how to grow 2x4s but his passion and drive for the “family business” would have come from us.

1 Like

But there was never any hint that Data & Lore were just the latest models in a generations-long line of highly sophisticated artificial life forms created by family Soong.

1 Like

He was the first to crack the positronic matrix, but it was clear from the Enterprise connection (a retcon if you want) that the Soong line always seems to stay in the family biz (that Picard s2 ran with in the other direction)

Also, there were 2 prototypes before Lore so maybe?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.