"Explaining Xmas to Jesus" ain't so easy for one couple, in comical sketch

Originally published at: "Explaining Xmas to Jesus" ain't so easy for one couple, in comical sketch | Boing Boing

3 Likes

bargain

That’s because Christmas, despite the name and whatever the fundies what us to believe, actually has very little to do with anything in the Bible and way more to do with older religious traditions that have had just enough Catholic appropriation to make it acceptable.

10 Likes

Because my kids are at the age (4 and 6) where we are attempting to delve down a bit into the social science in the things we see, it bothered me more this year when the local church’s “Jesus is the Reason for the Season” banner rolled out and my older daughter asked what it meant. I know it’s for the snappy rhyme, but the wording suggesting that Jesus owns all midwinter celebrations grated on me.

The fact that this declaration ignores why winters are difficult, particularly for agrarian societies and why various cultures might need a celebration for surviving the winter solstice and heading into spring seems so hollow. The rampant cultural appropriation / hegemony is definitely undeniable, and Christmas is actually a nice little entre into that conversation…

6 Likes

And locally, this started in late October, before Halloween. So, 1/6 of the calendar year features “the reason for the season.”

2 Likes

The Protestants had at least as much to do with the cultural appropriation that formed the foundations of our modern Christmas traditions as the Catholics. For example, the “Christmas Tree” dates back to 16th Century Germany and is often credited to Martin Luther, with the tradition later spreading throughout Europe as it became fashionable with the nobility including Queen Victoria.

3 Likes

Meanwhile, in Indiana, the politicians actually send out “Merry Christmas” instead of “Happy Holidays” to all of their constituents (like me).

3 Likes

It took me several minutes to figure out where I’d seen Jesus before: Kim’s Convenience. (That’s Ben Beauchemin, who plays Gerald.)

1 Like

Here’s the entire 5min video instead of the 1min snippet linked:

1 Like

The woman in this sketch is the one from the “Woman visits her past self during COVID” videos, right?

Didn’t watch the video, but Jesus is aware of Saint Nicholas right? You know, being a saint and all.

Well, I guess it depends on what this Jesus guy is.

“Saint Nicholas was one of your followers a couple of centuries after your death. He was renowned for his charity and especially kindness to children, that’s why we have folklore where he is the gift bringer for children when we celebrate your coming to Earth around Solstice.“

I’m willing to bet that Jesus might be a bit perplexed by that but also be okay with it.

Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven. And he laid his hands on them, and departed thence.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.