Explore an abandoned research lab

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/05/explore-an-abandoned-research.html

5 Likes

They didn’t even wear masks? I would just for the mold. In fact I’d use a full hazmat suit to go in there. God knows what the researchers were working on. Grants from Fort Detrick?

15 Likes

Wheat, apple trees, and cows.

Wheatappcows.

4 Likes

15 Likes

Fertilizer and nutritional supplements for cows, based on the video. Hardly an agent orange skunk works. There was an alarming amount of mold, though. They spent more time expressing concern about how hot one of the greenhouses was.

Credit it where it’s due, though- their commentary was notably less obnoxious than most in this genre. Most of these videos are dudebros stomping around making stupid jokes about things they don’t understand, and watching on mute is a better experience. These dudes mostly correctly deduced what all the equipment is, which was refreshing for this genre.

14 Likes

What galls most about seeing this is that the economics of this place are/were such that it was less costly abandon the sunk capital cost than incur the costs of basic maintenance to at least keep it mothballed but usable, and at some point in the time between its abandonment and now try to find some tenants to improve the return on the capital expended.

Some of those ‘greenhouse’ spaces would be ideal for some mass edible crop growing (tomatoes, herbs, etc)

18 Likes

I’ve seen this before - it’s the scenes from the beginning of a horror movie!

Also, I’m guessing: asbestos.

10 Likes

In more contaminated places (like those with asbestos dust) they typically do, but you’re right about the mold, it definitely isn’t healthy.

While sometimes I don’t mind silly dudebro commentary (like Hell on Earth channel), Proper People are probably the best on YouTube. They really appreciate the unexpected beauty of abandoned places. I highly recommend rest of their videos.

6 Likes

It looked like there is still some salvageable equipment. The decontamination rig alone could still be worth quite a bit. I’d love to pick a few of those simple pieces of lab equipment, too.

8 Likes
1 Like

“We’ve broken into this abandoned research lab…” [music cuts in] bow-chicka-wow-wow

2 Likes

Cyanomid brings to mind Cyanide and Arachnids. Who would have ever thought they would poison themselves through environmental pollution.

3 Likes

Hey, I am in lockdown, going through my daughter’s copy of Portal 2. No spoilers, right?

6 Likes

Closest we got to something like this was sneaking into a closed Air Force/NASA facility that was playing with big lasers. They bugged out unexpectedly; one week there was gates and fences and armed guards around several buildings and trailers, next week nothin’. Every piece of movable equipment was removed; we found some manuals for some of the tech equipment (that was gone), and some cement structures that were obviously meant to support some heavy stuff, but even the signs and the barbed wire were gone. Just empty ratty trailers and a lot of heavy plastic sheets.

5 Likes

It isn’t just a random technoword though. Cyanimid is a reference to a class of chemical compounds known as cyanimides. It doesn’t have anything to do with cyanide (other than that both cyanimides and cyanide contain “cyano” groups meaning C≡N bonds).

7 Likes

Would make a good Doom level. I was waiting for some CGI monsters to jump out and the guy to take them down with his chain gun.

2 Likes

That’s a channel called The Proper People (who got their name from a sign on abandoned building that read “ACCESS PROHIBITED EXCEPT BY THE PROPER PEOPLE”). They’re pretty well-seasoned urban explorers and they carry masks and other gear such oxygen and H2S detectors with them.

4 Likes

Someone needs to capture and import into a video game.

1 Like

Did you miss the “Insecticide” section? Dioxin is “just” a contaminant of a herbicide. Even “safe” labs are dangerous, let alone labs that are haphazardly shut, then abandoned and vandalized.

And I’d be willing to bet, as with all American chemical companies, there’s some hidden contamination of dumped waste chemicals. It’s no wonder the owner might be having difficulties finding investors: having a playground built of the remnants of a chemical company is far from a selling point.

4 Likes

No one else kind of freaked by the background music being from Herzog’s “Nosferatu”? Just me who hung out with too many Goths back in the day, then?

4 Likes