Explore the science fiction dictionary and discover thousands of rad inventions and concepts

Originally published at: Explore the science fiction dictionary and discover thousands of rad inventions and concepts | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Pretty subjective though.
The entry for ‘Airboarding’ says that Stross came up with it in 2007. I remember reading the Wheelworld trilogy from Harry Harrison back in the 80’s that mentioned a diskey - display and keyboard - in mid air projected from a pendant that you wear.

edit: googled Wheelword

1 Like

It’s a shame that as far as I can tell approximately five people in the English-speaking world have read Kurd Laßwitz’ Auf zwei Planeten/Two Planets (1897).

1 Like

Yeah. First few things concepts I tested were misattributed. Though the articles itself sometimes correct this.

A a scholarly work, it’s sorely lacking.

Even something like Aero Bus misses the mark by decades.

Advertising Airship?
I remember blimps buzzing around on the early 1970ies that had (low res, by today’s standards, but still…) displays on their sides. Hundreds of lightbulbs, showing moving text or little animations.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.