Eye surgeon discovers that patient's irritated, dry eye is caused by a mass of dozens of lost contact lenses

I used drops, and it would have been 20+ years ago now. They were soft disposables but I could always just feel them there, doubly so if I was not otherwise distracted… plus even though they were the correct prescription I could see better with my glasses.

3 Likes

Holy shit! How was this person able to see? Heck, how did they not lose an eye with all this in there? Something else must have been wrong for them to not even feel it.

3 Likes

#

#

#

#

#
NOPE

10 Likes

I wear them very infrequently, when glasses are impractical, or when I really want to impress.

That’s changing though. It used to be that if I wore glasses, young women would say, "He has such pretty eyes, why does he hide them behind glasses?"
Now, they say "Those glasses really make you look more intelligent."
What?

There’s simply no way I could lose a lens and not know about it. I have very slight astigmatism in one eye, and can even tell when that lens isn’t right-side up.

2 Likes

Ok, now this story has gotten me paranoid. Just yesterday morning I noticed one of my contacts was not on my eye. I had not taken it out on purpose. I searched my eye under the lids and couldn’t find anything. So I eventually put on a new one.

But now if she could not notice 27 contacts, I’m really worried…

3 Likes

Assuming you have normal eye anatomy, the conjunctiva should prevent anything from actually getting behind your eye. As a contact wearer for over 20 years, I also can’t fathom how this story could be possible, or where the lenses could have been. Personally, since the first time I tried contacts I’ve never gone back, because the image quality through contacts is so vastly better for me. Whenever I have to wear my glasses (which have the same prescription) I’m constantly annoyed by the distortion and chromatic aberration, especially towards the edges, and the lack of peripheral vision.

3 Likes

I guess it’s possible that the lady in question thought the lenses had popped out – lost forever – while in fact they had decided to take a trip elsewhere. I guess she may have become insensitive to irritation until the situation reached ‘critical mass’. And there’s lots of eyeball unexposed surface area for the lenses to gang up in (only ~20% of any eyeball is exposed); my rough numbers show 9 lenses side by side before additional ones would need to start piling up on those, but a multiple lens pile up makes absolute sense; eye movement migrates the already sticky (but still on the move) lenses around and they end up ‘cupping’ onto each other. Nasty.

I’ve twice had daily wear contact lenses wander up under the eyelid… and both times I didn’t feel a thing. My ‘no-way-I-can-have-a-lens-pop-out-on-me’ ego told me to flush out the lenses with saline. That’s when the lenses moved back into place, a bit sticky and dry, but retrieved.

3 Likes

If you have a weak prescription, then – cosmetic-wise – contacts aren’t really worth the hassle (or the expense of cleaning/rinsing solutions and the inevitable replacement contacts). Not to mention, eyeglasses are IN; lots of juicy retro-style frames out there to have fun with.

4 Likes

10 Likes

Fun with contacts:

1. Accidentally tearing the contact into three pieces while attempting to remove it. About forty minutes of scraping around to get the last scrap out.

2. Drunkenly spending half an hour attempting to remove contacts before remembering that I wore glasses that night.

3. Having contact lenses wind-dried while riding a motorcycle, then adhering to the inside of your eyelid when you blink. Sudden blindness mid-corner at 120km/h ain’t relaxing.

9 Likes

Does she still need the surgery? Or was the ‘cataract’ they saw just a mass of contact lenses too?

Years ago there was a pianist who had tumors on her hands, but when they operated, they found it was just unusual muscle growth from constant practice.

1 Like

I don’t wear contacts, but I feel like I’d be more likely to wear them after this. I mean, there’s no way I could screw up wearing contact lenses more than this.

Kinda like glasses though, for the same reason I grew a beard. The more stuff I can put over my face, to distract from it, the better.

4 Likes

GAH, reading more than one person calmly say they have had contacts “float behind their eye” freaks me out so much I don’t think I could ever even consider contacts over glasses!

6 Likes

My allergies, which periodically make me want to claw out my eyeballs from ITCH, tell me that contacts are a bad idea.

5 Likes

http://imgur.com/r/wtf/I6XMRLB

2 Likes

Suddenly really glad that I’ve been advised not to wear contacts

4 Likes

Maybe someone could invent contact lens frames to prevent them from sliding off?

/s

2 Likes

makes me wonder how many contacts are in my eyeballs.

11 Likes

Wait. What. They can go BEHIND your eye?! No wonder my husband won’t use them.

3 Likes

This is literally the stuff of my nightmares. When I used to wear contact lenses, I would sometimes have dreams that I would put them on and not be able to take them out, so I would have to put more and more in. Then I would wake up and not really be sure if I had accidentally left any lenses floating around my eyes.

1 Like