Facebook bans Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos, Laura Loomer, Louis Farrakhan, as 'dangerous'

Tougher gig though. No social media platforms or video - payment processors have dumped them.

I hear they take green stamps and completed Subway buy ten get one free sub cards now.

12 Likes

I envy what has to be your healthier, lower blood pressure, then.

You were fortunate, then. We of pre-Celebrity Apprentice NYC couldn’t blink at a newsstand without seeing his puss in print or hearing of his shadiness. A rotten fixture, he was.

6 Likes

Wake me up when someone gets around to de-platforming Zuckerberg, Facebook, Jack Dorsey and Twitter.

4 Likes

Very much agreed, although I won’t take their action seriously until they follow through on banning “individuals… that promote… violence and hate” by adding Trump to the list.

7 Likes

Nobody is stopping the unfab four from starting their own platform. They can sympathize with each other about how their “rights” are being “infringed”.

4 Likes

Huh. I remember seeing him in the media a lot back in the 1980s but I was never fully clear on who he was (except that he was supposedly rich and successful) or why I should care. I guess NYC just never got the reprieve that the rest of the country did after Wall-Street-worshipping era yuppie culture fell out of fashion for a while.

5 Likes

The Intellectual Dunked Web

5 Likes

Just wait till Captain Kirk convinces Facebook of this…

3 Likes

Good, but why now?

They have? That’s news to me. Or is this “always” like, “We’ve always been at war with Eurasia”?

If they’ve really always done this, they sure do take their sweet time.

9 Likes

…to bad rubbish.

5 Likes

So, they’ve finally shut the stable door that’s been banging in the wind for the last three years!
#betterlatethannever

3 Likes

It’s always interesting to see the people who come out like Mike (@mccarthy104_) and complain about the First Amendment in these cases. I wish more people got that it prevents the government from silencing you but that it isn’t a problem for a private business to do so all they want. At least from a constitutional standpoint.

9 Likes

I’m not sympathizing with any of these folks. Yiannopoulos and Loomer are obnoxious, hateful trolls. Farrakhan has been trading on hate for a long time. As for Jones, he has a complete disregard for the truth: his site is just the very definition of “fake news,” and he’s spread terrible CTs like the one that Sandy Hook was a hoax. But banning these accounts is the easy part. You know there are more people online out there pretty much like them, just not as famous. There are also always going to be borderline cases. Content filtering is not a science.

2 Likes

That reminds me…

11 Likes

Great article, but I prefer the XKCD explainer that distills everything down to it’s most basic level.

7 Likes

To NYC way back when, he was a cancer cell, discrete to that location. Then… he violently metastasized into what body-US sees now.

6 Likes

Perhaps they’ve always banned individuals and organizations with no money and that no one was paying attention to anyway…?

1 Like

Hmmm. I still think word would have gotten out somehow. I mean, I know they ban people. I just don’t believe it’s always been for the reasons they’ve banned these… gentlefolk.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the line they won’t cross is elected US officials, regardless of what they say or do. Still (slightly) better than Twitter’s fucked-up approach of not dealing with white supremacy to avoid that issue…

Don’t hold your breath…

7 Likes