Facebook gave third party developers access to 6.8 million users' private photos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/14/peeping-zuck.html

2 Likes

tumblr_inline_pjanlxosAL1sviztv_540

13 Likes

So, not just the bikini photos then?

5 Likes

“due to a bug”

…isn’t much of an excuse any more, is it?

10 Likes

No matter how many times I try to write a snarky comment about facebook, it always ends with the words “Cleansing fire.”

10 Likes

Most things end with cleansing fire. For those that don’t, regroup and go to Plan B.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Swear-Who, FTW.

6 Likes

that’s some old school SC right there!!!

I can only assume you’re a paladin

1 Like

Just wait for the 6.8 million fraudulent take-down notices from companies who’ve stolen the photos.

6 Likes

4 Likes

I call BS. You’re telling me they don’t have logs showing photo downloads from 3rd party apps? If that’s the case, they’re even more incompetent than we’ve been led to believe. Either they had logs and didn’t notify users promptly of the photo theft, or they don’t have logs and unfathomably are unable to monitor transactions with 3rd party apps!?

5 Likes

I mean, it’s probably just safest to assume they are maximally incompetent.

4 Likes
3 Likes

9 Likes

Holy Shitballs.

Are you fucking kidding me?

This is significantly worse than… Just about anything prior to this.

1 Like

“We’re allowed to take an indefinite amount of time to decide whether a data breach was actually a data breach and the 72-hour clock only starts once we’ve done that” is some absolutely god-tier rules lawyering.

6 Likes

If Facebook were run by the NSA, there would no longer be any worry that someone had your data, and they’d probably be a bit better at keeping it from other people.

nsabook