Facebook hit with massive antitrust lawsuits

3 Likes

Same, except that there aren’t any competitor standalone headsets. Hopefully that’ll change within the next two years, but Oculus is so far ahead of everyone else I worry that they can’t be caught.

As someone who doesn’t use Facebook, I have a hard time grokking this. What does Facebook actually have a monopoly on?

There is a rumored PSVR2 with wireless capabilities coming next year but I haven’t heard many updates on it. If anything we may have a wireless dry spell for a short time which I’ve compared to the video game crash of 1983. What we really need is a wireless headset that puts all the beefy computing power into a separate console box thing and frees the headset of the weight. My Quest gets so heavy that watching a full movie in VR is almost unbearable to the point that I still resort to using my Go for that purpose. Eliminate the screen door effect, give a longer battery life, and increase the field of vision while you’re at it.

It’s not so much that they have a monopoly on anything but rather that they’re behaving in the way predatory monopolists do in order to dominate the market to the exclusion of competitors. For example, what’s being discussed in this action is their propensity to use the cash and power they’ve accumulated as the major player in the social search space to buy up any potential competitor before it gets too big (often paying a ridiculous premium to do so) and then either absorb it into their existing architecture or kill it. That’s anti-competitive behaviour in the interest of preserving an effective monopoly.

3 Likes

In related news:

2 Likes

Facebook to get rid of WhatsApp and Instagram? No problem. Google/Alphabet will be only too happy to take them off its hands.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.