Facebook is still running white nationalist advertising

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/09/facebook-is-still-running-whit.html

3 Likes

As noted elsewhere today, Zuckerberg and Sandberg and the rest of the greedpigs really don’t care about curbing the influence of white supremacists on their platform. They’re not going to #stophateforprofit because they’re not going to give up the profit they make from their engagement-based business model.

15 Likes

for @Papasan
#deletefuckingfacebook

25 Likes

Is Facebook bad, or is it a reflection of society?

1 Like

Based on this ad, “white supremacy” seems to be rapidly turning into “barely-disguised white inferiority complex”

12 Likes

FB is bad in large part because it is a reflection of the society (or, per Thatcher, the lack thereof) that’s been foisted on us for the last 40 years: one that glorifies greed and selfishness even at the cost of making fascists acceptable company again.

False victimhood is a hallmark of white nationalists.

22 Likes

The ads are a reflection of part of society.

FB is bad for letting that shit on their platform.

I mean - do they not screen ads? If I had money to blow, I would see if I could buy fake ads for things like “Babies on spikes” and “Mostly live box of puppies” - and other absurdly repugnant things to see if they just blindly green light as long as the check clears, and only take them down if their are complaints.

8 Likes

I’m also guessing the ad was also a copyright violation because the image looks like concept art someone found in a Pinterest search.

6 Likes

…and yes we know sometimes they slip thru our filters and we do remove/block them as soon as we see/hear/find out about them.

6 Likes

That image is a dead-ringer for Lady Jessica as described in Dune:

The face was oval under a cap of hair the color of polished bronze. Her eyes were set wide, as green and clear as the morning skies of Caladan. The nose was small, the mouth wide and generous. Her figure was good but scant: tall and with its curves gone to slimness.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the picture was stolen from a DeviantArt fan site for Dune.

5 Likes

You see an ad with a sexy woman you know it’s a scam.

3 Likes

My experience seems to be that I can’t sell knives (as an example) on Facebook’s marketplace platform, but I can advertise that they’re for sale on my website. Which is to say that their ad standards and content standards are different and enforced separately.

There does seem to be some kind of screening/review process, but I guess they’re largely screening for anti-Facebook content and certain types of nipple.

2 Likes

I feel the marketplace is different than ads run by companies and orgs. What is people just selling stuff online, and one is paying Facebook to advertise.

PS - I wanna see your knives. PM me.

1 Like

Roger that !

6 Likes

This is my surprised face.

4 Likes

I was on mobile before or I would have already investigated.

It’s all over Pinterest and Tumblr, but I couldn’t find a source. The earliest Google result I can find is a French role-playing site from 2007 so it’s been around a while.

4 Likes

The ad boycott is huge progress, and very welcome – I hope it takes off and keeps growing from here – but people also need to leave Facebook en masse to make a difference.

Facebook has been an amoral organization from the earliest days. It’s in their bones.

10 Likes

Any artistic types here ready to do some Third Reich Facebook pages? They’d obviously be in black and white and use HTML -7.0.

(here’s a secret: it’s always been about that.)

this is especially transparent because IMHO it translates to “if you let our women be around pretty much anyone else, they’ll choose to reproduce with them and not us. WAH!”.

6 Likes

Isn’t weird that redheads weren’t even considered “white” until recently (ye old hatred against Irish people) and now white supremacists are touting them as the epitome of desirable?

2 Likes