Facebook leak exposes personal info on 533m users

Not until someone rich and powerful is caught up in it.

3 Likes

Zuck himself?

2 Likes

download

9 Likes

I would think it would take more than a script to do this since passwords haven’t been mentioned as part of the leak. And I don’t know how you social engineer FB account hacks since there is no technical support. I guess you could use the data to do spear fishing with phone calls, emails and/or FB messages that use the account data to seem credible and get login info from the account owner.

I will say that SMS 2FA is especially subject to man in the midle attacks because the MITM can just claim to be sending them and asking you to read them back as confirmation - a T-Mobile rep did this to me. I called them, so it was ok. But I didn’t even consider the possible MITM consequences of reading back SMS codes to someone on the phone at the time. So even having 2FA isn’t enough to guarantee immunity from social engineering / MITM :-/

2 Likes

I think you missed a word: “Yet.”

2 Likes

I use"script kiddies" as shorthand for the various digital crooks and vandals who think they’re hackers.

3 Likes

Having had an email account compromised and utilized to take over other accounts by a likely “script kiddie” level hacker, I can say that the effect is still devastating, and that their lack of nation state level skilz is not especially comforting. They used the account to steal what I hadn’t realized had become a very expensive domain name and try to sell it to Chinese domain brokers.

Once they have an in, there is so much damage they can do. It just cascades.

4 Likes

Same here. I’ve been cut of from a whole branch of my family because I’m not on facebook, which they take to be a personal insult. (I guess there is a sense in which it is, in that I’ve lumped them with a group I deem injudicious.)

2 Likes

Yeah; our nanny filter has that site flagged as malware, which makes me super sus.

2 Likes

Facebook says leak of 533m accounts is old news. But my date of birth, name, etc haven’t changed in years, Zuck

[…]
The records were pilfered from hundreds of millions of Facebook profiles spread across 104 countries; that includes 32,315,282 accounts in the US, and 11,522,328 in the UK, according to a post on the underground forum viewed by The Register . All of the data amounts to over 70GB.
[…]
You can see if your profile is in this latest leak by entering your deets into Have I Been Pwned or Have I Been Zucked.

3 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.