Facebook 'Made Mistakes,' says Mark Zuckerberg in first words on Cambridge Analytica crisis

Well, it sounds like Cambridge is claiming that they didn’t breach the contract and Facebook is waiting on the forensic report before they make a legal accusation against them.

My point wasn’t so much that it was a good/bad statement. Why on earth did it take so long? Mark Zuckerberg will probably run for president someday. Would President Zuckerberg wait a few days after America was attacked before making any statement?

2 Likes

Never thought that someone would try to make pharmabro look sympathetic.

4 Likes

I rarely use Facebook beyond keeping an account open to prevent impersonation for identity theft. Beyond that, it’s just to have contact with support for a couple products I own (very niche so not really important beyond getting bug fixes). So I can’t imagine people using Facebook as their portal to the world but it’s fair to say that many websites made it that way and not Zuckerberg himself. He sold many developers on the dream of a single login point where you can track and update users to your site but the reality is that the dream wasn’t worth it. Many folks don’t or won’t go to your site even if they’re signed in on Facebook and many more won’t even notice you updated it. So I think the long term solution is already happening since more developers are ditching Facebook integration. It’s really a question of where Facebook will be in a decade when less than half of the web is neatly integrated into their system. People will always find one way or another to keep in contact with each other and Facebook will suffer the same fate as its competitors as a result.

3 Likes

I don’t think Rob sucks, he’s pretty cool in fact :wink:

#Pendantry

Yeah, “We pledge to not give away your data so cheaply next time” would perhaps be more accurate for them. It seems like Facebook may be most pissed off that they gave away too much for free when they could have been selling access to CA (who they did work with directly).

After this, though?

2 Likes

Of course. He’s learned how to scam an election.

No idea why he even needed to hire David Plouffe and Ken Melhman.

6 Likes

This seems like the kind of thing that won’t play well with the few people who had even vaguely positive feelings about him in the first place, though. It’s hard to scam an election if no one likes you…

1 Like

The problem in running for him is

4 Likes

Note that no apology was requested and none was given.

3 Likes

Unfuck Zuck.

5 Likes

For me, that was the best part of his efforts - just how gloriously awkward and uncomfortable he looked.

Well he ain’t whistlin’ Dixie! :joy:

I like how your mind works

4 Likes

:joy: I see what you did there!

He’s going to be a natural going to county fairs, having a beer with union workers and ordering a cheesesteak.

He’s the kind of guy who would swab Purell on a baby before kissing it. A real man of the people.

1 Like

Did anyone else go straight to the Angel Islington’s “remorse” in the climactic chapter of Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere? (I.e. sinking Atlantis was “unfortunate”)

1 Like

I nomnomnominate @Falcor for Secretary of Facebook

1 Like

After Trump?
You betcha.

1 Like

FTFY

3 Likes

Well, SURE!! There’s plenty of precedent now!

1 Like