Facebook only pretended to shut down access to friends' data in 2015, quietly continued access for its favored partners

Mr and Mrs Clownlord didn’ raise them no fool.

3 Likes

It is sort of a leitmotif used by Rob Beschizza, I think (from context) to indicate people he feels are untrustworthy. It freaks the fork out of most of us. Oh, and welcome aboard the good ship Boing Boing. They promise not to share your personal details with any third parties :wink:

3 Likes

If you are at all familiar with Neil Gaiman’s Sandman stories, you might recognise this as an homage to the Corinthian, a renegade nightmare escaped from the land of dreams.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_(comics)

1 Like

Dehumanizing/ demonizing the enemy? There is a loooong history of it in human existence and war and propaganda.

This is what I love about the bbs! Everyone adding what they know, into the conversation, a Stone Soup party as it were. (I had heard the comparison to the Corinthian character here before, but not being very familiar with Neil Gaiman’s work it had slipped my mind.)

Sure, one can research stuff and find information about things all over the internet, but each of us brings different knowledge and background to the topics, and each of us makes connections to our other experiences, in a way that won’t be found in an internet search. To me, the That reminds me of this other thing… dynamic is one of the most valuable things going on here. I so appreciate all you other commenters here—every one of you, whether I happen to agree with you or not—I learn so much from everyone here :smiley:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.