Facebook removes congresswoman's pro-Trans post as "hate speech" while favoring anti-trans congresswoman's response

Originally published at: Facebook removes congresswoman's pro-Trans post as "hate speech" while favoring anti-trans congresswoman's response | Boing Boing

13 Likes

time and competition will eventually do that, in the meantime what practical possibilities are there to punish them for this stupidity/evil?

19 Likes

Mark Zuckerberg and any other fecesbook executives must be made pariahs anywhere they go other than to court. Anyone who gives them a platform must be publicly shamed. Society must draw a line in the sand or fecesbook will have no incentive to cease being a platform for hate speech while paying only lip service.

18 Likes

I can only assume they left up MTG’s, which actually is hate speech. Both sides or somethin’.

Edited for grammar

15 Likes

download-1

14 Likes

Close. Money. Hate speech drives engagement. fecesbooks algorithms are manifestly designed to drive engagement. fecesbook only overrules those algorithms when it becomes PR they think could cost them more than moderating hate speech.

26 Likes

I going in early, you win the interwebs today. I know, I know, it’s early, but I’m doing it.

16 Likes

Knew I could count on Happy Mutants to notice the double entendre.

9 Likes

Sick Zuck

2 Likes

“Facebook delenda est”

Latin insufficient to translate Facebook.

5 Likes

It has become exceptionally clear that Facebook hates Trans people.

Want to see for yourself? Go find any story or article that addresses Trans people. Find a comment on it that expresses hate speech related to trans people. (Trust me, there’ll be one, as long as you’re not in a Trans community.)

Report it as hate speech.

Wait for the report to come back as “This comment is within our community guidelines.” Watch as they do absofuckinglutely nothing.

By the way… Trans Rights.

19 Likes

I think what this is seeming double standard is about is more to do with online troll hordes tending to be pro-conservative, rather than pro-liberal.

I would guess that Greene’s post got flagged hundreds of times to Newman’s thousands of flags.

5 Likes

Stuff like this is why I roll my eyes every time some conservative decides to bleat about how Facebook et al are anti-conservative. To get blocked, the Hate Crew seems to be required to do something really egregious, while all progressives have to do is say something like ‘hey trans people have rights too’.

14 Likes

As always, Facebook’s strategy is to let this sort of thing happen, do nothing until finally screamed at by thousands of people, apologize, and do absolutely nothing to prevent it from happening again next time.

11 Likes

conservatives like to pretend equal treatment is oppression. that’s pretty much their thing.

13 Likes

And you didn’t even get into the real names policy where fb will force trans people to use their deadnames. This has happened to multiple friends and it’s fucking gross.

13 Likes

“Facebook must be destroyed.”

Then why include their “Like” links at the bottom of posts on Boing Boing? When someone not on Facebook clicks on them they get encouraged to sign up. If more sites removed their links, maybe readers wouldn’t be constantly reminded of them and maybe search engines would no longer see them. I removed FB Like links off of my site and there was zero hit to traffic. Test it out on Boing Boing and see for yourself.

11 Likes

As time goes by I become more and more skeptical that either time or competition will do that. People have been complaining about Facebook for years now, and it feels like the current exacerbation of complaints based on Facebook’s intervention (both conscious and unconscious) into the political sphere is just the worst manifestation of bad actions by the company that have gone on with little consequences except a general disgruntlement about the company by its users, who for the most part continue to stay addicted. There are no viable alternatives in sight, and Facebook has been pretty good about lifting features from competitors (Snap, possibly TikTok) or buying them outright (Instagram).

The answer to both the short term and long term is to regulate the assholes.

2 Likes

Deleting Facebook

12 Likes

Well? @beschizza You DID write that, after all.