Facebook removes congresswoman's pro-Trans post as "hate speech" while favoring anti-trans congresswoman's response

Actually, it seems Facebook in Latin is… Facebook. You’re good.

1 Like

A made up name is hard to translate, but Frontiliber delendus est would be my guess.

3 Likes

I would love to remove them. The site design hasn’t been updated in a long time. They generate no traffic whatsoever.

I actually used a snippet of code in this post to kill the link, because it makes me sick seeing it whenever I write about Facebook.

.facebook {
display:none;
}

I used to put “Facebook Delenda Est” on posts and tweets now and again but the point is to actually destroy Facebook, not impress people with my knowledge of Latin rhetoric from the Third Punic War. So English it is.

18 Likes

As I understand it from an old thread on the topic, those links are essential to keeping the site running. Apparently advertisers want engagement buttons. We’ve been asking for them to cut back on predatory ads, these buttons, etc. for years with some sort of subscription/patreonish option but the powers that boing don’t think that’s enough to pay for the site.

ETA: After rob’s post I got curious about my memory. I couldn’t find the thread I was looking for, but I found another. Per orenwolf (RSS: Suddenly Snippets! - #21 by wazroth)

The most successful patreons apparently don’t make enough cover BB’s costs (?!?!?!). They’ve been looking into bespoke options but nothing that would work has appeared yet.

1 Like

I am not a techie but the implication that a site redesign is needed to merely remove all Fuckbook share links stretches my credulity. Maybe someone can inform me.

@tekk Rob seems to be saying the opposite.

3 Likes

Technically a small thing, yes, but multiple people would need to agree to it.

11 Likes

They might once have been useful but that era’s long gone, for everyone, not just us. The type of link we have is the sharer.php ones which have no tracking and were deprecated 9 years ago. Facebook never did kill it, and kind of undeprecated it because they were everywhere, but anything shared on Facebook with it gets no reach. Posting something to facebook that facebook will only ever show the person posting it.

That kind of share was the share that powered the Viralnova / Upworthy echelon of web publishers. Facebook limited it to limit them. As I recall.

8 Likes

Ahh. I thought from this thread that I swear existed that someone said that these links are required by advertisers, presumably so they can measure “engagement” or some garbage.

1 Like

Understood. I’m not going to comment on group agreement given recent changes.

But (rhetorical question) surely the waters could be tested?

2 Likes

Not technically possible because the type of share link it is, the deprecated sharer.php ones that don’t get tracked.

The reality is that all the modern facebook rigging comes through invisibly with ad tech, so it might be the case that facebook javascript finds those old sharer php links and rigs tracking onto them.

Facebook

delenda

est

9 Likes

Liber Facierum delendus est (credit for getting it right this time goes to @Doctor_Faustus)

4 Likes

Kompressor does not Share.

2 Likes

I confirm based on pre-election shenanigans. Before the election there was a webserver at trumpcovidplan.com which was a redirect to the Biden campaign site with the message that Trump had no COVID plan. The malware-detecting services told our firewall to block all access to that as a phishing site. Somebody had pushed a button to report the domain and the artificial non-intelligence in the malware detection service believe that report hook/line/sinker. It required local manual intervention to disable the bogus automated report and allow access. The local admins refused all requests for comment about why the automated scheme they were paying for had failed.

I’m pretty sure Mark Zuckerberg already has a platform…

Maybe try some nice antitrust law instead?

3 Likes

I was recently reminded of Fecesbook’s (nice) creaking weathervane of policies and how far they’ve shifted when i watched again the video below. He’s lying there of course but at least there was an attempt at a greasy-faced mask of idealism.

Liber Facierum delendus est indeed… or hit them with so much antitrust their heads will spin.

1 Like

The irony wasn’t lost on me, but I stand by my advice.

QuickVibrantBichonfrise-size_restricted

7 Likes

Thanks. I just realized that’s what @Papasan was referring to, not just my manifest destiny jibe. Alas, I can’t take credit for that one. I don’t remember where I first saw it, but the turd fits.

4 Likes

Put it in the glossary! I’d do it myself but i have a fear of editing someone else’s post.

3 Likes

Patreon website campaign. Details matter.

Facebook, and the rest of the advertising world, are needed to fund Boing Boing. Share buttons, though, aren’t, and I’ve gone ahead and removed them.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t affect FB tracking you. As Rob says, their code is everywhere in adspace.

10 Likes

and just try to get away from amazon web services . . .

8 Likes