Facebook says this white nationalist video doesn’t break its new white nationalism ban. Huh?

When I was a kid white supremacists were creepy outsiders like Tom Metzger (the obvious inspiration for Stacy Keach in “American History X”), now they’re smiling handsome fashion models, and have cartoonishly benevolent sounding names like “Faith Goldy.”

I don’t know whether evil will prevail, but it will always be here, and the great mass of humanity only seems to finally understand the nature of evil when it leads to violence.

3 Likes

Facebook says ≠ Facebook does.

Never has, never will; as long as the people with the keys are the people we have now.

4 Likes

the only way we are going to get the remaining lazy people off facebook is to have “mass close account” days every month

say the third thursday of every month, everyone stuck at work, etc. (don’t make it a friday or monday, make it a drab day)

so make a campaign,

"close your facebook" third-thursday every month

10K-100K accounts at a time, eventually it will chip away until it’s just bots, spammers, russian manipulation teams, and the alt-right (and the anti-vax idiots) they can have it

1 Like

Facebook is already shrinking in western developed nations, where it’s being replaced by handier forms of quick social chat like Instagram. (I can’t remember if Instagram has been bought by FB, or if that’s SnapChat or WhatsApp, or all of them.)

The numbers growth of Facebook is in countries like Indonesia where the internet is so expensive that the free Facebook programme and content more or less IS the internet for a lot of people.

1 Like

FB did buy Instagram (and WhatsApp, but not SnapChat). If there’s an up-and-coming social network platform that’s attracting a lot of new users (especially younger ones) Zuckerberg will just buy it to take it out of the competitive landscape and then integrate it into FB’s ecosystem of awfulness. Sounds like a job for Antitrust Man.

3 Likes

Where did these invaders come from?
EDIT:

1 Like
4 Likes

Just try and come “collect,” bitch.

9 Likes

Indeed, but we have to start somewhere. A real, material acknowledgement of the wrong done now and in the past would be a start. More robust public historical education on the issue would also be great, preferable led by the people hurt in the first place.

9 Likes

So, the law that allows that is currently being challenged by the usual suspects. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/10/10/court-strikes-down-native-american-adoption-law-saying-it-discriminates-against-non-native-americans/?utm_term=.d6f863626b22 https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2019/02/indian-child-welfare-acts-uncertain-future/582628/

3 Likes

8 Likes

The Maori have the advantage of actually having signed a treaty that was then immediately violated. So they can raise specific claims. It’s harder when people were just shoved off and ignored. Also when people raise illogical claims like what you mentioned. I’m sure some reparations would be preferable to none even if it won’t ever be to the full amount actually taken.

3 Likes

I rented a time machine, traveled into the past, and kidnapped myself before facebook began and hid me in the facebook-free future to ensure I would never have a facebook account.

2 Likes

Nice CEotTK gif!

2 Likes

There is also no cold, only heat, but yet we talk perfectly sensibly about it being cold all the time. If we must we can always replace “evil” with “insufficient quantities of goodness given our current standards.”

6 Likes

No, see, they are just pointing out that it’s the survival of the fittest, so if millions of people were genocided, that just proves they weren’t strong enough! /s

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.