Facebook sends man animation featuring cartoon characters dancing on his mother's grave

God forbid he find utility in it.

6 Likes

It could be worse…
They could send that birthday card and a reminder for our obligations.

4 Likes

Again I have to ask: Why the fuck does anyone still trust FaceBook with their information?

5 Likes

No way I’m watching that. It took ages to scrub all memory of the movie and TV series from my head, and I like it that way.

3 Likes

Hm no, because I’m not old. Right?

Right?!

3 Likes

Really? So Facebook is taking the initiative and actually making content from personal accounts and throwing it out there with algorithms? Meaning randomly? Without the person’s knowledge? What a shit hole social media website.

4 Likes

Is there a Klondike bar in the deal?

2 Likes

Just when I think Facebook couldn’t sink any lower, get any more despicable, they go and pull something like this.

And totally redeem themselves!

1 Like

I always thought it was just an old bad TV show. But one day my brother and I went to the video rental shop and found the VHS version of this movie. I can’t recall very well, but I think we didn’t like the movie very much.

1 Like

Aw man! I adore the original film! "Peter Ustinoff saying “Never seen a cat? Oh my!” :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Only if that’s in binary.

2 Likes

So, yeah. That’s pretty shit.

But let’s assume a different picture. A happy one, from a happy time. Something you’d like to remember, and probably even be reminded of. It’d bring bring a smile of reminisce to your face, and for a moment a lightness to your heart.

EXCEPT THEY PUT A STUPID FUCKING HEART RIGHT IN THE CENTRE OF THE IMAGE, THOSE CLUELESS FUCKWADS

7 Likes

It doesn’t throw it out there. The person whose photo it is sees it and can decide whether to share it or not.

3 Likes

Recently had a similar thing happen on Instagram, had a picture of a flyer for a DJ/tribute night, old friend of mine had died, this was the post-service wake. Some local pizza place had started following me and liked a couple random pictures and then commented ON THE IMAGE OF THE FLYER, “happy day!” with a couple hart emogis. Wonder if their pizza’s as tasteful as those comments - I mean algorithms! Who needs people feelings anyways :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Driving engagement without regard to effects like this seems blame worthy.

People might want to offer their love to the bereaved—and that’s natural enough. This is a thing which happens. Emotions aren’t as binary as Facebook’s curiously hapless designers have assumed them to be.

Someone designed this, thought it was good enough to foist off on the rest of their users—all while not even once thinking, “could there be memories which should be exempted from this?”

But no, because ALGORITHMS.

4 Likes

Lets discuss what can be done to prevent this… what about “NOT UPLOADING A PHOTO OF YOUR MOTHER’S GRAVE TO FACEBOOK?”

Seriously? Haven’t we learn by now that any content stored on Facebook’s servers is their property?

Honestly I don’t know if I want to see your mother’s place of burial, and I don’t know if she gave this guy written permision on her last will to make it public. But the fact is that once you release a photo on the internet, it is impossible to control what it will be used for.

We can blame facebook for many things (that is the reason I only use it for memes and cat videos nowadays) but getting upset with a piece of written computer code is absurd. And by the way, Facebook did not publish this animation, it showed to the guy in private and he decided to make it public in twitter.

3 Likes

This guy certainly decided to share it :wink:

1 Like

The classic facebook example of posting info about a personal tragedy, such a death in the family, and then getting “likes” for it.

2 Likes

This is part of why I stopped using Facebook years ago: people I barely know posting things that seemed way too personal for me to be seeing or reading.

1 Like

Citizen, what are you doing posting not-double-plus-happy posts in our database, err, social media. You have been found in violation of code 6244 subsection 229. Please proceed to the nearest happiness education center.

Remember. A happy post is a happy citizen is a happy country.

1 Like