Facebook slashes price of its creepy Portal home surveillance telescreen

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/17/facebook-slashes-price-of-its.html

1 Like

Is that the version that runs GLaDOS or Wheatley?

4 Likes

Oh damn, now I really want one to train on the toilet so Zuck can watch me on the crapper. Too bad it’s not small enough to mount inside the toilet.

3 Likes

I usually hate the mouths-for-eyes PS work, but in Zuck’s case I think he needs mouthsin his eyes, his nares and ear canals.

1 Like

Behold, it is the toilet.

4 Likes

“Siri, can I use my Amazon Alexa turn to off the Facebook Portal?”

7 Likes

I would take one for parts if they were giving them away for free.

The most obvious abuse here would be how much an insurance company would pay for that data – not even the company you have now (if you have health insurance) but one you might have in the future – so they could deny all kinds of health claims because your bathroom habits indicated some kind of pre-existing condition. Not that you’d ever know where that information came from, and of course – not that they’d ever warn you, “Hey, based on your toilet data, there’s not insignificant chance you have condition X.”

Less obvious and less personal would be the machine learning that comes from your and everyone else’s aggregate data. Not just physical health information, but mental health, social, possibly even economic information. How much time do you spend in the bathroom? Morning or evening? Do you read? If so, what? Do you look sad?

And then bathroom portal TVs become a standard, obligatory feature of all dwellings…

1 Like

“correlations in facial chroma averages and political sentiment analysis”

Facebook already does a version of this to control hate speech. There are certain words (the N-word being the most obvious) that will automatically get a post flagged for review, but only if their algorithm thinks you are white.

1 Like

Even at $99 it seems like decent hardware to hack on. I’m sure someone has figured out a way to reflash it.

2 Likes

That’s the future anyway, might as well go down swinging!

2 Likes

“We’re just policing hate speech as you commanded, humans. Why is it you do not appreciate this?”

4 Likes

Straight up the first thing I checked but it doesn’t even seem to be rooted yet.

3 Likes

It’s even smarter than you think. A “friend” (i use that term in the Facebook sense, not any personal feelings) posted a dashcam shot of a bike being stolen from his roof rack the other day. Because he was delightful enough to caption the pic “ghetto rat piece of shit” Facebook nuked it within minutes.

White guy, picture of black guy, derogatory comment… He was bitching about it and posted a screenshot of the notification, it got removed for “harrassment/bullying”, not racism. Nice dodge, FB. Don’t get me wrong, the dude i’m talking about is a racist through and through, so their AI wasn’t wrong. But I’m positive a brown person could have posted the same pic and made the same comment without any action being automatically taken.

1 Like
3 Likes

Don’t worry, your imbecilic healthcare system is about to go away and that will no longer be an issue. Pray for us in the UK, though, since we’re about to adopt it. FML.

I actually came to say that I was waiting for the FB bidet with integrated camera. Great[?] minds think a like.

1 Like

We’ve analyzed this Hess fellow’s face sir, and turns out he’s a cyclops with a really disgusting nose.

1 Like

It was all cool and awesome when it was on the Jetson’s. Now it’s all scary and disturbing. I’m starting to think the Luddites were on to something.

1 Like