Facebook lied: its in-home "Portal" cameras will collect your data

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/17/releasing-on-time.html

3 Likes

What? Facebook lying about something like this?

15 Likes

A charitable explanation might be that the left hand didn’t communicate sufficiently well to the right hand, and they had to walk back some statements. It happens at big companies from time to time.

A less charitable (and more likely) explanation is that their strategy for unpopular moves is to lie about it, or push through changes which will be unpopular without notice (resetting privacy permissions) and then walk it back/apologize later.

I mean. The second explanation seems to happen just about every single time. So… I can only imagine that the people who trust what Facebook at face value (pun intended) are people who aren’t paying attention.

7 Likes

7 Likes

10 Likes

FUCK “charity”; hard pass.

2 Likes

You make a good point, probably should

13 Likes

14 Likes

This scans roughly to the tune of “Whistle while you work” - which was what that line immediately sparked in my brain.

I watch you while you sleep
And cheerfully I suck your data while you’re in your bed
So hum a merry tune
It will distract you from the fact your privacy is dead

3 Likes

Was this not literally what Telescreens were in the novel 1984 :interrobang:

13 Likes

We have always been at war with Eastasia. Why would we ever attack Eurasia, our ally? You must be a thoughtcriminal for such doubleplusungood thoughts!

7 Likes

How could they not mine this gloriously deep vein of data? The AIs would never allow it!

1 Like

So, uh, is now the time to ask Zuck if Portal will be scanning and measuring the rooms of your domicile as it follows you around?

1 Like

A good rule of thumb that concerns everything facebook: assume it tracks everything you can think of and a few things that you haven’t thought of yet. Data mining is the raison d’etre of this company, never forget that, everything else is just marketing.

3 Likes

I am shocked, shocked, to find that corporate duplicity is going on in here!

1 Like

Or to quote someone else: “The left hand doesn’t know what the right buttock is doing.”

1 Like

(My post was not suggesting charity)

Winston Smith: Does Big Brother exist?
O’Brien: Of course he exists.
Winston Smith: Does he exist like you or me?
O’Brien: You do not exist.

1 Like

Fun fact: Facebook calls its thing ‘Portal’ simply because ‘Portal to Hell’ was market tested as being too long.

3 Likes