Facebook to offer wide-angle videocall camera that tracks you as you move around your home

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/08/facebook-to-offer-wide-angle-v.html

1 Like

So… it’s a telescreen is what I’m getting? Oh good. I mean, sure, thirty-four years late, but still! Well done!

9 Likes

Facebook to offer wide-angle videocall camera that tracks you as you move around your home

Just fuck no, NO!

14 Likes

Continuing evidence that Facebook is really a large-scale social experiment to determine how many Americans are truly gullible fools.

9 Likes

2007 is calling.

2 Likes

Yeah, who would have thought Big Brother would actually be your brother (or aunt or “friend”)?

I love 1984, but this is exactly why I found Fahrenheit 451 so much more compelling. The people weren’t being controlled by an all-powerful ministry intent on eroding their will, they simply chose the convenience of full-room reality tv to the point that books became an encumberance. The Firemen were just filling a cultural need.

6 Likes

Im waiting for version 2.0 with see through walls features.

It’s funny that [they] launched it despite the ongoing fallout from the privacy breach,

It seems likely these are two different divisions of the company that rarely talk to each other. Left hand, meet right hand.

What could go wrong? Oh, everything?

1 Like

You know, I just had an idea… looking at that industrial design and thinking good grief that thing looks like it would tip over time and time again. And then the horror dawned on me: what if, now hear me out, vertical video and a vertical screen would be better for people vidcams. I know I know vertical video is the devil. But looking at that screenshot, I wondered why 2/3s of the video is devoted to not-person. Sure, sure, follow me around, listen to everything I say (what could go wrong?), shut up and take my money (not). A vertical screen on that cylinder/box whatever wouldn’t get knocked over as much. I’ll show myself out before the mob comes to get me, toodles.

edit - OK, color me somewhat impressed, the screen can rotate 90˚

No. No I won’t.

Co…rrect.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I for one, welcome the blatant privacy intrusion into my life so corporate marketers can see not only me, but family members and friends. They will either sell me what I need or sell me out to law enforcement, at their convenience… and I’m okay with that.

1 Like

O'Brien rose deliberately from his chair and came towards them across the soundless carpet. As he passed the telescreen, a thought seemed to strike him. He stopped, turned aside, and pressed a switch on the wall. There was a sharp snap. The voice had stopped.

Julia uttered a tiny sound, a sort of squeak of surprise. Even in the midst of his panic, Winston was too much taken aback to be able to hold his tongue.

'You can turn it off!' he said.

'Yes,' said O'Brien, 'we can turn it off. We have that privilege.'

2 Likes

I mean. I have Skype on my Xbox One with the Kinect.

As I understand it, there’s no better setup than that. I have literally never used it. I hate video calls.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.