Facial recognition mobile app

This seems to be vaporware. Has anyone actually managed to get this app?

…which the app will report to anyone who points it at you.

So anyone – that is, everyone – has to have a copy of this app or be at risk of victimisation? Well, I have to concede that’s a pretty powerful business plan.

Oh brave new world that has such wonders in it.

Mmm, nah – Apple isn’t my moral compass and the main reason why I like the walled garden is because of the malware and scamming it keeps out. Also, it’s about the size of Texas and full of stuff I want and can’t get on other platforms.

Still, it’s nice to know that one platform is managed by a company that has some sort of “moral compass”, even one as primitive as that of a huge corporation. Unlike others. “Don’t be evil”, my arse.

Tethering comes standard on my iPhone, by the way.

Maybe in Europe it does, but not in 'murica (at least on most carriers). You can do USB tethering, but wifi tethering costs you extra because the OS will merrily lock you out until you cough up money.

The Internet sure is big and scary. Oh no!

If you need a corporation to be your moral compass, you have nothing but my pity. I can navigate morality without asking Apple or Google’s permission. If you need a company to forbid certain things from being installed on your portable computer in order to stay “moral”, you probably aren’t a terribly moral person begin with.

If censorship gets your rocks off and you think that the guiding hand of Apple is your moral compass, cool for you bro. Personally, I find the idea of a personal computer where you can only install program approved by a single amoral corporation to be abhorrent. You have fun with your corporate fairy tale land though. I am sure that their steady hand will keep you from committing any acts of immorality. If that works for you, great. I however still have a functional sense of morality and will keep on loading my own completely open source OS, take root access, and installing whatever I damn well please from whatever source I want.

You don’t have tethering? Sounds as if your “freedom” is dependant on the whim of your carrier (and I don’t live in Europe, FYI).[quote=“Rindan, post:26, topic:18863”]
If you need a corporation to be your moral compass, you have nothing but my pity.
[/quote]
You must have read the part where I said “Apple isn’t my moral compass”, because you just quoted it. Please stay focussed.

Now you’re just being rude. You’re declaiming as if you have the moral high ground, when you’re arguing for a system that facilitates stalking, spying, identity theft, sexual abuse and who knows what else?

Controlling the use of Nametag and similar products looks to me like common sense, like control of explosives and other potentially anti-social devices.

go to nametag.ws to sign up for the beta software. It is currently only available on google glass, but more devices will be supported soon. You can also see demonstrations of the app here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVwBXr_nU9Q and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbnqmBqBVIU

Yes, dude, I do have tethering and the cell phone company has no say. Did you fail to notice the part installing a custom open source OS? I actually own my phone, hardware to software. You realize that your “freedom” (not sure why we are quoting it, but I’ll roll with it) to tether is also dependent on the whim of your carrier, right? Try tethering on Verizon with an iPhone without shelling out for a tethering plan. How I share my iPhone’s Internet connection (without paying Verizon extra) | Ars Technica

The entire Internet facilitates stalking, spying, identity theft, sexual abuse, and whose knows what else. That sounds like an excellent argument to lock down the entire Internet and hand it over to a nice “moral” company like Apple. Thanks. I’ll pass.

Like I said, if the Internet scares you shitless, stick with Apple. Your iPhone is going to keep you safe from all the nasty and immoral things that you can find on the 'tubes. If you only access the Internet through apps and uninstall your browser, you can live in near perfect safety. You have fun with that. I’m going to go play on the big scary Internet uncensored by a corporation.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.