Facts about mouthwash

ezgif.com-add-text

10 Likes

The talk of alcohol in mouthwash reminded me Myth busters tackled the idea that vodka could be used AS mouthwash… it kinda worked. Ha. But only in terms of freshening the breath. Health effects were both part of the test:

1 Like

You’ve piqued my curiosity…

It’s so true. If I drink enough vodka, I don’t even have to brush my teeth before bed!

10 Likes

Well, I do recall it being a disinfectant, but the owner was unsatisfied with sales and worked to expand it into other uses. Mouth rinse was the only one that stuck, after convincing Americans they needed it.

5 Likes

Yep - originally used to disinfect surgical rooms! Including the floors, so my hyperbole is still technically accurate.

Also, Listerine marketing invented the condition Halitosis so that people would feel bad about themselves and buy Listerine!

5 Likes

images

2 Likes

Interesting.

That term does have an official medical ring to it.

Nonetheless, whatever causes foul breath for different people, I’ve encountered some stunning, eye-watering instances of bad breath. i guess I’ll no longer label that “halitosis.”

2 Likes

Huh, interesting.

I use a fluoride-based mouthwash nightly. As @MikeR pointed out above, my research told me that fluoride needs about 20 minutes to do anything useful on teeth. My old regimen of brushing-than-rinsing was probably not helping, so instead, I brush and then use Crest’s Pro-health mouthwash, which is both fluoridated and alcohol-free, and conveniently sold in 3-packs in many stores. I don’t do this in the morning though - I just don’t rinse in the morning because I’ll end up having some sort of beverage within 30 minutes of brushing anyway.

It is surprisingly difficult to find fluoride mouthwashes anymore, though.

Also, it’s interesting that despite being a “daily” user of mouthwash, I apparently would not qualify as a “regular” one in the study above, since they’re expecting use of twice a day, not once.

5 Likes

“Last month, my company both invented and cured restless eye syndrome. Kerching, Blinky!”

3 Likes

This is an interesting listen re: breath.

2 Likes

Can’t believe no one has posted it yet… :smiley:

Audio version (in case the video won’t work for you):

After spending a lot of time/money on braces, I’ve been in the mouthwash twice a day camp (after breakfast, before bed). The hygienists recommended Listerine Zero (alcohol free) Total Care, since the Crest Pro Health equivalent stained my teeth :frowning_face:. That Listerine burns more than the Crest ever did, though! :grimacing:

3 Likes

Try the Therabreath. No burn and seems to work just fine

1 Like

Do you want that mouthwash straight up or on the rocks? | Registered Dental Hygienists

Mouthwash intoxication is real: The alcohol content of many common products exceeds that of regular alcohol, and in some cases is easier to get.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.