Failed attempt to move boat engine with a pickup truck

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/30/failed-attempt-to-move-boat-en.html

6 Likes

Carefree instructions with consequences.

1 Like

Come on guys. “Capable at automotive/mechanical work” is basically the ONE POSITIVE STEREOTYPE associated with rednecks, and y’all are ruining it.

8 Likes

I can just hear her saying, “vote for Trump, Doug!”

7 Likes

oh middle America.

1 Like

Based on the stuff I see on thereifixedit.com, I’d say that your premise is flawed.

7 Likes

Middle? This is obviously Florida.

6 Likes

“Honestly, Doug, If I asked you to jump off a…”
“What? You were just saying something, then you started fiddling with your phone.”
“I’m looking for cliffs or high bridges around here. I want to do this properly.”

3 Likes

Doug needs to learn how to creep properly. He’s lurching that truck like a student driver’s first day with the stick shift.

6 Likes

16 Likes

One word. A-frame.

It’s Obama’s fault.

4 Likes

Overall though this seemed like a reasonable solution to the problem. The only real failure was not securing the engine hoist to the bed of the pickup, but since few production pickup offers attachment points on the bed they can be forgiven.

It drives me crazy when I’m trying to secure the load in a pickup and literally the only options are holes near the tops of the posts in the four corners–clearly not intended for that use. Would it be that hard to weld in some bars on the truck bed to have something on which people can tie down their cargo?

3 Likes

just go kick it across the yard already

1 Like

At least they got it out of the boat?

2 Likes

No, so why not weld in what you need, and grind them back off later when you don’t? Or bolt them in. It’s difficult to predict all the tie down and attachment points someone might want on a truck, so mostly they don’t put them in. I agree that the correct number is more than zero, though. I’m constantly adding stuff and drilling holes in my pickup bed and rails.

2 Likes

It seems like a missed opportunity to me. Chevy could install hardpoints and then sell branded accessories like nets, straps, tarps, etc… at a hefty markup.

2 Likes

See, you’re misinterpreting this, Mark - they just wanted the engine out of the boat and onto the ground, and they didn’t plan to re-use the engine for anything, the tailgate of the truck was already scratched and dented anyway, and the hoist was already bent and doesn’t belong to them, so no harm was done. It was a textbook perfect operation!

3 Likes

They’re Ford owners what did you expect…

1 Like

Getting flashbacks…

What the hell did he expect? Did he think they were bungee tow ropes or something?