Large truck rescue goes badly. Really, really badly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/18/large-truck-rescue-goes-badly.html

5 Likes

Yep, that went pretty badly. At least no one was injured?

6 Likes

They should have had a cable securing the trailer from the side to prevent swing outs.

11 Likes

I’m assuming someone was in the crane that went over? Though no one seems particularly fussed about it going over, so maybe they were already out?

3 Likes

Slow the hell down. There’s no need to move the load so quickly during a recovery. Blocking and bracing are your friend!

13 Likes

I can’t be sure, but it looks like the top of the boom was beyond the far side of the truck, and that’s what caused the shift.

4 Likes

Can’t wait for the sequel, “Large Crane Rescue Goes Badly. Really, Really Badly”

22 Likes

I’m pretty sure no one involved should be driving tractor-trailer trucks, much less heavy construction machinery.

2 Likes

“I know this truck has a hinge built into it, but how could that possibly have any effect on what we’re doing?”

3 Likes

I can’t see anyone in the crane that fell. May be part of the problem. 1 operator for both machines?

1 Like

Hindsight is 20/20, and everyone on the internet is a expert…

Not saying anyone is wrong, but I think the results speak for themselves.

5 Likes

That’s what it looks like. The rear wheels may have been snagged, making it necessary to try to pick it straight up, but maybe still snagged, prompting reaching further out.

1 Like
8 Likes

Physics is a bitch!

6 Likes

They should have retracted the telescoping booms so the point of suspension was further in. But, who am I to say, I’m just a physicist, not a crane operator.

7 Likes

at this point, i’d just throw my hands up, say we tried, and instead leave it as a warning to others.

6 Likes

The one with the APC about 4:30 really made me LOL.

snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Did you mean “gnawing victory in the jaws of defeat”?

Sorry…just sounds weird. Not sure what the solution is. Maybe none. Maybe it’s just me. It’s probably me.

Well, I guess that wasn’t Michael Caine’s next idea after the end of The Italian Job, then.

coach

5 Likes

I like how nobody seems particularly perturbed by it, even the people milling around by the crane that went over the edge. I guess this sort of thing happens every day in this hellhole, or at least on that curve.

2 Likes