Fake toy store in Hays, Kansas

[Permalink]

That’s Hays, America, sir.

What’s the point of a toy you can’t play with? Might as well display a bunch of vinyl records you’re not allowed to listen to.

Really? I’m Canadian, and when I see ‘Toronto, Canada’ or similar in an American publication, it always seems wrong.

To each his or her own!

It’s actually just a joke stuck in here for the benefit of western Kansans, eastern Coloradans, etc. There’s a lot of references in local media to “Hays, America”, for reasons I’ve never quite been able to discern. Over the years, it’s become something of a running gag that helps identify you as “from around these parts”.

It’s even turned up in the URL for the Ellis County economic development coalition: http://www.haysamerica.net/

[quote=“maggiekb, post:5, topic:7721”]
There’s a lot of references in local media to “Hays, America”, for reasons I’ve never quite been able to discern.
[/quote]I assumed that was to indicate that a geographic region bore the Sarah Palin Seal of Real America-ness®, thus distinguishing it from places like New York or San Francisco which are only part of the same country due to a technical oversight.

Man, I spent the most boring weekend of my entire life in Hays, Kansas, back when I was 12 years old.

Ah! By the way, I should have out a smiley or something in my earlier comment. It came off as peevish, when I intended it to be lighthearted.

I would have squealed with delight had this been a part of my childhood in Hays, America. While it could be argued that it’s a rather boring town, it was a great place to grow up.

Despite Brownback’s gutting of public art funding, it warms my heart to see that independent Kansas artists are still making Kansas beautiful.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.