Trump congratulated Superbowl winners Kansas City Chiefs who "represented the Great State of Kansas"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/02/trump-congratulated-the-kansas.html

8 Likes

Um, actually, the Greater Kansas City area encircles a number of counties in both Missouri and Kansas, including a couple located in the Free State (Kansas), Wyandotte and Johnson.

2 Likes

'Splain not, lest ye be corrected…

16 Likes

Um, actually, the Greater Kansas City area encircles a number of counties in both Missouri and Kansas, including a couple located in the Free State (Kansas), Wyandotte and Johnson.

Um, ya, but he didn’t say that either.

20 Likes

31 Likes

Yes, and again, they did the give the Free State something to cheer about by winning, and not because a politician said so. But credit to you, the technicality is that he did ignore the Missouri side, which is fine by me, to be quite frank.

It’s kinda like saying that if the Seattle Seahawks won the Super Bowl, they made the great state of Oregon proud!

Sure, there are Seahawk fans in Oregon, and they go to games, but Seattle is in freakin’ Washington, dude.

17 Likes

Honestly, having spent half my days living on the Kansas side of KC, I speak for hundreds of thousands of individuals when I say, it’s not like Oregon and Seattle at all!

5 Likes

You, dear sir or madame, have won the Lurkers Support Me In Comments Trophy of the year.

25 Likes

That so needs to be on a tee-shirt.

22 Likes

No, you are much too gracious, now that I think about it. This community has perhaps a hundred lurkers in Kansas.

1 Like

The Greater Kansas City area did not win the Super Bowl. The Kansas City Chiefs did, and they are not based out of “The Great State of Kansas.”

To put this in terms that someone like Trump might understand, the Augusta National Golf Club is not the pride of South Carolina just because North Augusta, SC happens to be in the greater Augusta metropolitan area.

26 Likes

vlad the explainer

29 Likes

12 Likes

As an aside, does anyone think Trump would have been able to bring himself to type the phrase “The Great State of California” if the San Francisco 49ers had won?

(That is, assuming he knows that team is based out of California and not “The Great State of Francisco.”)

27 Likes

You represented the Great State of Kansas

I count two mistakes right there.

The second being that there’s nothing “great” about Kansas except for good BBQ and good rest stops on the way to less shitty states.

10 Likes

Within a few minutes, he deleted the tweet and posted a corrected version.

We know that it wasn’t Trump himself who posted the corrected version.

If Trump himself had been at the helm for this particular set of tweets, we all know what happens:

• Trump insists he’s right, says “people are saying” that the Kansas City Chiefs belong to Kansas not Missouri.
  • Fox News starts broadcasting that the Kansas City Chiefs belong to Kansas not Missouri.
  • GOP politicians start tweeting and opining that the Kansas City Chiefs belong to Kansas not Missouri.
  • Suggestible players on the Kansas City Chiefs themselves start saying that, yeah, perhaps the Kansas City Chiefs do belong to Kansas not Missouri.
10 Likes

z4787

17 Likes

He tweeted “Kansas City” on a Sunday
By Monday he had learned a thing or two

(w/apologies to Rogers and Hammerstein)

4 Likes

That’s good to know. And the Kansas City Chiefs are located in Kansas City, Missouri, and represent Missouri per their team history and team information. The name was selected from a contest run in Kansas City, MO, and the winning selection, Chiefs, was from a citizen of Kansas City, MO. Trump also corrected his tweet and changed it to Missouri after being reminded he was a “stone cold idiot.” There may indeed be fans in Kansas City, Kansas as well as other parts of Kansas, but the Chiefs are a Missouri based team whose primary representation is for Kansas City, MO, just as the San Francisco 49’ers are considered a San Fransisco team even though Oakland is just right over there next door. Maybe Kansas City, Kansas, can stop being jealous and be more like Oakland by getting it’s own team. I hear the former Oakland Raiders, now Las Vegas Raiders, love moving around.

But you go on with you pedantry, we’re listening…

15 Likes