Kansas City Chiefs win Super Bowl, Trump congratulates "great state of Kansas"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/02/kansas-city-chiefs-win-super-b.html

3 Likes

Glad this made to the front page here.
Or sad. I dunno. Claire McCaskill is awesome though.
Worst president ever.

13 Likes

It’s worth noting that Bangladesh Kansas is NOT Ukraine Missouri.

5 Likes

Kansas, Missouri, Colorado… it’s easy to get all those Southern border states confused.

16 Likes

It’s going to be a long week.

If only it were just a week. The best I can hope for is that it won’t be a long five years.

10 Likes

It’s a leap year - one free extra day of all of this!

4 Likes

On the bright side, maybe this means Trump has never had the pleasure of enjoying Kansas City barbecue. Good, he doesn’t deserve it.

4 Likes

It’s not out of the realm of possibility that he’s chomped down on a McRib sandwich thinking it was Kansas City barbecue.

3 Likes

His stooges and water-carriers will spin this as only being a Trump joke and we not getting it. What else could they do.

7 Likes

16 Likes

i think 45 just figured out how to fix the senate.

combine the middle states and split up western ones…

5 Likes

He had a 50/50 chance and he blew it. Is the only app on that phone of his Twitter?

6 Likes

Dumabass is as dumbass does.

8 Likes

The thing is, this is far from the worst geography mistake he’s made. This month. This is what happens when the president is so cognitively impaired, incurious and narcissistic that he knows nothing and actually gets angry if anyone tries to tell him something. It’s just never-ending fuck-ups - he’s incapable of anything else.

This is Trump. Guessing the right state would be more like a 1/50 chance for him. Actually, I’m being charitable. Gods only know how many states he thinks there are, or what he thinks the names are…

Of course he wouldn’t bother to look it up. He literally thinks he’s the smartest man in the country (he’s seriously said as much) and already knows everything.

6 Likes

First time I’ve heard that on BB.

As a non-Yank, I might actually have to give that idiot the benefit of the doubt on this one. Why the fuck wouldn’t you put Kansas City in Kansas? Is it just to confuse tourists?

2 Likes

I think, he just fell for the Kansas City Shuffle

Kansas City is on the border of Kansas and Missouri. It’s actually in both states. There’s a Kansas City, Missouri and a Kansas City, Kansas. The Missouri side just grew a lot bigger over the years and that’s where all the sports teams are. KCK is kind of a suburb except with a more urban feel.

Anyway, having just moved from KCMO to New Jersey, I deal with this on a weekly basis. Trump is hardly the only person who thought Kansas City was just in Kansas.

ETA: The city was named first, so the confusion was created by whoever decided to name Kansas Territory.

7 Likes

Basically Kansas City, Missouri was there before there was any state called Kansas. As to why it is called Kansas/Kansas City - read the link.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article220057035.html

And @danimagoo beat me to it, but the link is still good reading.

2 Likes

To be (un)fair, what with all the dumping on Kansas instead of Trump, we like to pronounce Missouri like “misery” because it’s often appropriate.

5 Likes