Famed lexicographer's new book "Word Perfect" released with a ton of typos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/06/famed-lexicographers-new-book-word-perfect-released-with-a-ton-of-typos.html

6 Likes

Great marketing.

11 Likes

Indeed, I’d not have been aware of this book otherwise.

8 Likes
6 Likes

Maybe the dictionaries for English weren’t installed.
Besides, to make the front coeve have they used Corel Draw? Just Asking.

5 Likes

From the perspective of someone working in manufacturing, I am impressed with the lady’s attitude. Instead of blame and anger, she apparently takes a far more productive tone of working to fix it.

8 Likes

An excellent example of Muphry’s Law.

5 Likes

As a production editor I can see just how this happened. Where I work, uncorrected proof pages are actually deleted from our servers when corrected pages come in, precisely to prevent this sort of thing from happening. (This is different from the old days when it was all marked up paper, and everything had to be saved until after the book was printed.) I have a couple of contacts at John Murray, perhaps I will have to poke a little at them.

3 Likes

At least they didn’t leave blocks of placeholder text in place, which I’ve seen done in the past.
Also, when I worked in print and publishing, it was wasn’t unusual for an agency to supply us with digital copy, which we’d amend and update, then send the client the fully approved job once it had been printed, only to have the original, unamended copy the next time they wanted the job printed! We also had an issue with a Mac-based worm/virus that we ultimately tracked back to one agency, who we informed, and sent them clean copies of all of the jobs we’d done for them, and info on how to clean up their system, only for them to continue to send infected copies of their jobs!
This was the late 90’s, early 2000’s, but honestly, how slow can mammals be and still have respiratory functions? #facepalm

4 Likes

I really love the slogan “How Slow Can Mammals Be?” Maybe with a dinosaur looking disappointed against a backdrop of meteor strikes.

Or maybe a steamroller with a big “Climate Change” logo on the side.

3 Likes

As long as it’s a glorious pinnate dinosaur with a fantastic feathered nest.

4 Likes

you could say that it’s full of bugs

4 Likes

A couple I knew was credited for proof reading a published RPG back in the 90s. Their name was misspelled in the credits. The sort of thing that happened when logistics meant that a 3.5" floppy disc of edits did not make it through the post in time (including a raft of edits and corrections). I’m sure 2nd edition was spot on.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.