Family of black holes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/01/family-of-black-holes.html

8 Likes

Cool.

8 Likes

This family really sucks.

9 Likes

Didn’t read it but I am sure you can fix these with wood filler.

Okay I did read that and my new favorite word is “perihelion” (a planet’s point of orbit closest to the sun). How to casually drop it into conversations?

12 Likes

That’s beautiful

4 Likes

I try to do this with penumbra and umbra.

Some people get it.

2 Likes

Was expecting a joke about Trumps but instead get science. What’s the world coming to?

1 Like

“How do you put a hole inside another hole?” sounds like a modern Zen koan.

5 Likes

I assume they’ll be getting a vantablack stick figure family decal for their minivan. Three happy looking voids of light.

4 Likes

So when the second crash happens lLIGO will detect it and we will see it at the same time? Or does it not work like that?

1 Like

The researchers predict that the merged object—presumed to be a black hole having a record-breaking mass of roughly 150 times that of the Sun—will plunge back into the disk in a year or so, creating a second flare.

150 solar masses is hardly record-breaking, as there are supermassive black holes out there weighing millions of times more. But it is an odd weight, as smaller black holes are only a few times heavier than Sol, and there is a big gap between them and supermassive ones. 150 suns is an intermediate weight that is probably the result of a few mergers of solar-sized black holes.

EDIT: I had this case confused with another recent discovery. There’s so much going on!

2 Likes

150?

1 Like

“Standing in the President’s girthy penumbra”

4 Likes

“May you never be in perihelion to the President’s girthy penumbra.” (?)

3 Likes

When a Mummy Black Hole and a Daddy Black Hole love it each other very much; they try to swallow each other.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.