Little black hole orbits large black hole

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/29/little-black-hole-orbits-large.html

8 Likes

Little black hole… oh yes tiny! Just 150 MILLION times the size of the sun. Still very interesting, thanks!

6 Likes

Well, looks like wikipedia is now going to eat up what should have been another productive coding morning. Thanks a bunch.

Seriously though, thanks. I love this stuff and educational for the kiddos.

5 Likes

Hmm…I’m beginning to suspect that “modeled the timing” is science-code for “played with a spirograph”

9 Likes

Predicted to within four hours? Still more accurate than predicting when the comcast repair guy will arrive.

10 Likes

How bright would it be for a planet orbiting a star in that galaxy? Would it be this tremendous flash? For a civilization in that galaxy, think about what it would do to their religion: god turning on the light every few years-- at some fairly random rate but always from the same point in the sky.

2 Likes

18,000,000,000 time the size of “our” sun…

25,068,600,000,000,000,000 meters in diameter
78,755,329,595,781,100,000 meters Circumference
8,324.44 light years to travel around the circumference

This is my megalophobia

Even if my calculations are wrong by 99%, that’s still 83 years or, a lifetime travelling at the speed of light. :cold_sweat:

1 Like

18 billion refers to the mass of the black hole, not its size. The size would be its schwarzschild radius.

= 53,172,525,247 km according to an online calculator, or 355 AU. Which is still pretty huge.

11 Likes

Should be interpreted as the MASS of our sun. In a black hole the mass of our sun would be crushed down to an area maybe a mile across.

5 Likes

Phew… I was panicking myself over the the fact this was huge, turns out it was only big.

Thanks for the correction.

2 Likes

Yes I’ll put my hands up to my mistakes, just ask my kids. :laughing:

2 Likes

I expect these black holes will merge eventually. I remember reading Stephen Hawking’s recollection of how he calculated what would happen during a merger. He mentioned that he solved it while he was getting into bed.
At the time I was thinking “well how hard could it have been if he solved it getting into bed”. The rub of course is that his disability made the process of getting into bed quite long indeed.

4 Likes

But isn’t the radius actually infinite due to the curvature of space? 355 AU is just the circumference divided by 2π?

4 Likes

I think that’s correct. Technically it’s not the radius of the black hole itself, but rather that of the imaginary sphere within which a given mass will become a black hole. But I’m no astrophysicist.

2 Likes

That light is hard ionizing radiation, mostly gamma rays and x-rays. If it’s lighting up your sky, I don’t think you’ll last long enough to enjoy the view.

4 Likes

A delightful description!

8 Likes

To sort of wrap your head around at how compact black holes are, if the Earth were a black hole, it would be the size of a marble.

It is unfathomably dense.

A super massive black hole is still huge, though. Thanks to Mr. Shiv for the calculation.

So my question is - won’t this eventually get swallowed? Is that orbit stable? What sort of energy release are we looking at when they collided?

3 Likes

Show the vid to the repair guy next time he shows up. “See? That little black hole is better than you!”

2 Likes

The awesome people of JPL and Caltech ran the Spitzer program for NASA. Spitzer was technically retired in January 2020 so this was one of its final discoveries. It ran out of coolant in 2009 and they got another ten years worth of “warm mission” out of it. The story of how they caught this is pretty pretty neat. The telescope was 158 million miles from earth when it made these observations and they just lucked out that OJ 287 was within the sites. We would have missed it from over here.

1 Like

Yes I think you can only talk about the circumference of an event horizon.

2 Likes