Hubble Space Telescope finds smallest known galaxy with supermassive black hole

[Permalink]

1 Like

The image is an artist’s rendition. TL;DR?

2 Likes

Agreed, artist’s view, WTF?

1 Like

Due to the event horizon, and the fact that black holes exist in three dimensional space, most black holes are obscured by a huge concentration of bright stuff. It’s like looking at a whirlpool from surface level: you would basically just see lots of fast-moving water. You only see the vortex when the whole thing viewed from an additional dimension.

Think of this image as more of a sonogram: a two dimensional cross-section of a region of space described in the article.

1 Like

i think it would make a great album cover:

4 Likes

On the one hand, it is a little disappointing. On the other hand, I am reminded of this…

6 Likes

Came to make comment about inadequacy of 2D representation; left feeling part of something bigger. And presumably three dimensional.

I thought I was seeing stars inside the black hole until I realized it was dust on my monitor.

2 Likes

Let me guess - you can tell by the pixels.

That, and the caption of the picture :smile:

1 Like

Probably just dumb speculation but I wonder if the dense proliferation of stars in such a small volume could have anything to do with the feeding behaviour of the hole. Lol. IANAA

Sure, now it’s the smallest known galaxy.

1 Like

3 Likes

while your image actually had artistic merit, i’ll reply with some hastily thrown together humor…

hubble hubble

1 Like

So immature… Let’s bring this back to science:

3 Likes

Speaking of Hawking… he just denied the existence of black holes. How does this jive with the so called discovery of another one?

The reason that this is anticlimactic is that we really don’t have a clue if these things exist outside of theory and “artistic renderings.”

http://www.nature.com/news/stephen-hawking-there-are-no-black-holes-1.14583

le sigh

“There is no escape from a black hole in classical theory, but quantum theory enables energy and information to escape.”

This is not the same as saying there are no black holes–and even hawking has been refining what these objects are since at least the seventies. What he is saying is that there is no magical hole in the universe that something can fall into, never escape, and has a solid boundary. (Event horizon)

Our understanding of these objects is increasing, they do exist, but we are discovering more “rules” about how they work.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.