Family on overnight BA flight refused seat switch as they were gnawed by bedbugs

That is awful. And that uncaring, inflexible attitude is what led me to stop using them. It costs them thousands of dollars a year, but I’m sure in the big picture that’s nothing at all to them.

If the bedbugs are already noticeable and biting you, changing your seat won’t do jack shait except give that new seat bed bugs.

And in the event it was the seat, just throw a blanket over the seats to prevent more of the hoard festing on your flesh.

Conveniently, there’s a good size market for durable, reasonably priced, fluid-resistant bags sized to fit common varieties of human. (vendor for example, no specific endorsement implied).

Just start printing boarding passes on toe tags and you should be able to adopt the mature logistics of mass casualty response to create the sanitary future of civil aviation!

4 Likes

Well, I knew they’d boarded in Amsterdam, so thought there was a good chance they were somewhere in the UK. (This was in the days before cell phones, so contact was harder.) The BA agents at Humberside and Manchester each suggested they’d show up at the other airport, which is how I ended up driving a big chunk length of the M62 4 times in one day, something I do not recommend.

1 Like

Book with OMB Airways.

They’re gonna have to burn that plane now.

1 Like

Sounds like a country song.

3 Likes

I have been very happy flying Cathay. We used them on the Malaysia-HK leg of a recent trip and they were so much better than Malaysian we flew Cathay to Europe some months later.

1 Like

Why is no one commenting on the ambivalent verb in the article title? It could point to the airline or the family…

Holy hell! If those seats have bedbugs, that whole plane will very soon, and everyone who sat in those seats or near them is likely carrying them through the airport and on their merry way all over the place.

Compensate everyone for the ride, the new clothes, luggage, etc. We had bedbugs in a house we ended up moving into, and they are the most terrifying thing I’ve ever encountered. You literally have to kill them with fire.

1 Like

I’ve heard they’re quite pernicious and difficult to fully exterminate from a living space. If i recall correctly one method is to heat up the home to a certain elevated temperature (120-140F) and the bed bugs are unable to cope and die within 3-4 hours.

1 Like

This. A small infestation can be killed with pesticide, but the only way to actually be sure is pesticide plus heating to 140+ degrees for over 4-5 hours. This includes making sure every nook and cranny is hit, pulling anywhere they can hide out of storage and hitting it with heat, ripping out outlets so the inside of the walls get it, etc.

Bedbugs are no joke.

2 Likes

You can apparently also use cold if someone is apprehensive of heating a house up to those levels for whatever reason, but it takes 3 days or so to ensure that the cold kills the bugs vs a few hours for the heat to work its magic.

3 Likes

Sorry to derail, but WHAT A GREAT IDEA FOR DEALING WITH THE CURRENT INFESTATION AT THE WHITE HOUSE!

6 Likes

God damn it lol

3 Likes

There are a number of known predators for bed bugs. Next time you’re booked on a BA flight (or any airline just to be safe) bring a jar of cockroaches or centipedes with you. They’ll eat them right up!

2 Likes

Or visiting the White House!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.