Fans of Hallmark Christmas movies now have a convention all their own

“It’s funny how the colors of the real world only seem real when you viddy them on the screen.”

2 Likes

12 Likes

Finally, after years of research by top men, Hallmark is mustering all it’s vast resources in order to reveal the true meaning of Christmas.

2 Likes
3 Likes

That’s a pretty accurate description of their holiday movies.

4 Likes

They make a ton of these Hallmark Xmas movies up here in Vancouver, Canada. Everytime I see someplace in town decked out like Christmastown, USA I say thanks, Hallmark for keeping Hollywood North in business.

7 Likes

And not one was a heartwarming love story with a transgender lead.

I need to see that -

7 Likes

Oh Christ. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT tell my wife about this.

3 Likes

Bah, beat me to it.

1 Like

One of my favorite Christmas specials/movies ever was shown only once on PBS, and is now very difficult to find. Happily it’s on YouTube. A lovely adaptation of Dylan Thomas’ A Child’s Christmas in Wales, starring Denholm Elliot (of Indiana Jones etc), who has a wonderful voice.

1 Like

10 Likes

That one was dark, even for Black Mirror.

2 Likes

I remember when it first aired, but I don’t think I saw it till much later. A couple of years ago I found a used copy on DVD, I think some small label. Maybe tye CBC aired it for a whike in recent years.

About fifty years ago a teacher in elementary school played the famous recording done by Dylan Thomas, on one of those last days before Christmas holidays. Nice and cozy, it still invokes a lot today.

2 Likes

The sad part is that networks used to make made for tv Christmas movies, some better than others. Some would air once, and never again, some would replay over a few years, then were retired. Some can be bought on DVD, but I’m still hoping to find “The Man in the Santa Claus Suit”. Maybe not great, but they were about Christmas, and any romance was secondary.

Then the networks got out of making movies, and Hallmark took over.

I do have a decent collection of Christmas specials and movies, but it’s nice to add something each year. I think I’ll get “Emmett Otter’s Jugband Christmas” this year.

I am surprised how many Christmas DVDs I’ve bougbt used for a dollar, I’d have thkught Christmas things were kept year after year. I’d still have thise Little Golden Books related to Christmas if I’d not given them to the daughter if a friend thirty years ago.

Be sure to get the most recent “40th Anniversary” version or find an old VHS. Emmet Otter has passed through a lot of hands and has been reissued on DVD a bunch of times, and it’s gotten weirdly re-edited and changed here and there. I think the most recent DVD/blu-ray restores things more or less.

A Very Special movie convention, I’m sure.

1 Like

What is the minimum number of cats you must own in order to attend???

2 Likes

Wait, I’m sure I saw one that had dogs in it.

Here in Canada we seem to see a lot of those Hallmark Christmas movies, though probably lagging behind the actual Hallmark channel.

As someone pointed out, many are made in Canada, which gives them some level of Canadian Content. So airingbHallmark Christmas movies is not only cheaper than airing a classic, but at a time when the networks are scramb!ing to boost their CanCon before the end of the year. It’s as if they weren’t paying attention, and then at the last minute realize they are low, so they toss some Hallmark movies on the schedule.

2 Likes

and let’s recall that obscure sports counting toward college admission is affirmative action for white kids

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.