Americans projected to spend record 12 billion dollars on Halloween

Originally published at: Americans projected to spend record 12 billion dollars on Halloween | Boing Boing

4 Likes

In some ways, Halloween and Thanksgiving have eclipsed Christmas and New Year’s as the most important American holidays. Taking out spending for gifts, I’ll bet people spend more on Halloween than they do on Christmas.

12 Likes

Sad Black And White GIF

21 Likes

Is that why Big Christmas is desperately trying to get people to buy stuff earlier and earlier?

6 Likes

Which ‘holiday related’ movies are more interesting? i asks ya. (even discounting ‘Die Hard’ as a Christmas flick)

3 Likes

Good luck trying to find any Halloween decorations. Went into Michael’s last weekend and nearly everything has been cleared away and Xmas stuff already in its place. I can understand why Spirit Halloween exists now.

7 Likes

I know I do.

I filed a religious discrimination complaint against my daughter’s school when they banned wearing costumes in school on Halloween. The “rationale” was that not all kids could participate, and so it would make them feel bad. Problem is, they allowed Christmas, Chanukah, Easter, and Eid decorations, and her school had a large number of Muslim and Jewish students, so “not all kids could participate, so it would make them feel bad.”

Unsurprisingly, it turned out the principal’s personal religion forbid Halloween, and she was trying to impose her belief system on the school by banning the “naughtiest” holiday.

The district reversed that policy for the next year. The costume parade was still cancelled (which I hadn’t asked for), but at least Samhain was allowed to be celebrated by those who choose to do so.

16 Likes

There’s something very fitting about a nationwide chain of ghoul-themed merchandise that operates by temporarily possessing the corpses of other retail outlets.

11 Likes

me, everytime I see a Christmas display before halloween

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

except for going into Hallmark to get that year’s star trek ornaments

8 Likes

I did my part with some fancy led lights and a blow mold ghost. I love anything blow mold. 100 bucks at Lowes a few weeks ago, the Christmas stuff was already up.

11 Likes

Recently I learned that even the name “Spirit” came from the existing store name of the first space they occupied, which was previously a women’s apparel store.

13 Likes

You could go with combo films…I watch Nightmare Before Christmas both during the Halloween season and on Christmas Day (along with Die Hard and A Christmas Story).

6 Likes

Technically the entire horror genre is considered Halloween movies. So there’s that.

6 Likes

My kid’s school district tried as well that a couple years ago, and the administration got torched over it, and backtracked super quickly. Not sure if there were any formal complaints like yours, but the early October school board meeting was lit up by people protesting, and the Board quickly voted to overrule the jagoff we then had as Superintendant.

7 Likes

There are exceptions.

5 Likes

Black Christmas (1974) is this year’s 1st feature of our annual backyard Halloween double feature. Followed by Rocky Horror.

But, Black Christmas is also a Christmas Eve tradition and this is the first year it’s in our Halloween rotation.

6 Likes

9 Likes

3 Likes

I live in the best Hallowe’en area I’ve seen anywhere. Kids get bused in to trick or treat around here. Xmas decorating around here doesn’t even make a dent.

I bought a giant skull from Lowe’s a few years ago.

During the rest of the year it hangs out inside, unobtrusively.

What shall I do with it this year?

8 Likes

Extra points for putting Rocky Horror in a double feature given its opening song “Science Fiction Double Feature”

8 Likes