Boo! Los Angeles bans trick-or-treating on Halloween

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/09/boo-los-angeles-bans-trick-or.html

5 Likes

Sad, but for the best considering the current state of things. It extra-sucks because it’s one of the rare Saturday Halloweens, when kids will push themselves to fill the sacks to overflowing and there’s no school the next day. Perfect for sleeping off that sugar hangover.

9 Likes

Nooooooo!!! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Few people love Halloween as much as me… but yeah… we have to skip it this year.

Sigh…

3 Likes

Hey - should we do a virtual Halloween party on BB?

2 Likes

You know what America… if you can’t be responsible in a pandemic, then yeah, you’re going to get grounded from fun things like Trick-or-Treating and BBQs. If we all stopped acting like idiots, maybe we’d get to have fun things again. Trumpers are getting all of us the switch.

19 Likes

What is the word for trick-or-treating but where the parents can’t be arsed to actually walk with their kids so they drive slowly alongside instead, creating traffic havoc and endangering kids? Can we also ban that, like forever?

7 Likes

Yet another reason for me to feel sorry for kids this year. For myself, I just wonder how this will affect those post-Halloween candy sales I look forward to at the beginning of November. There’s no way the manufacturers could have anticipated this, and they work on long lead times.

5 Likes

Car parades are still allowed in LA county. I wonder how fast all the overseas factories can ramp up production of automobile costumes?

If anyone in the LA area needs a big magnetically-attached car beard and oversized Santa hat they’re welcome to borrow mine. Maybe change the hat color and dress it up as a wizard?

21 Likes

Well this is the Lost Year for sure.

6 Likes

Los Angeles bans trick-or-treating on Halloween

sure, that’s a bummer, but what about every other day? wink :wink:

…no but seriously please everybody stay home.

6 Likes

Hey - you are leaking photos of the open space conference room! :zipper_mouth_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

It appears that our neighborhood grocery store bought the same amount as last year, which begs the question: do stores preorder a year out?

Anyway, I feel it’s necessary to help them out by buying several bags of candy. :wink:

9 Likes

My grocery store put all their halloween candy out in July. In order to take advantage of all of us stuck at home and depressed.

9 Likes

Or “carstumes”, if you will.

7 Likes

Not one for a lot of civil disobedience but “no” – there’s vanishingly little evidence of outdoor transmission – if you can protest safely (and apparently you can) you can trick or treat safely. My door will be open regardless of any government order to the contrary.

2 Likes

While I feel bad for the kids, the idea of one infected person going door to door and infecting entire neighborhoods is a stark reality check.

2 Likes

I was thinking exactly this. I have participated in 3 protests since Covid and we all wore masks, just have the kids dress up with a mask and responsibly go house to house. Leave the candy in separate little snack ziplocks so there is no rumaging in a bucket and there is no reason to ban it. Dumb people will make dumb decisions and smart people will make smart ones, regardless of what day of the year it is.

2 Likes

When I was growing up, the year 2000 and the year 2020 had an exciting, almost mystical quality to them.

Just think, I will see the start of a new millennium, how cool is that? Oh, so just the Y2K bug then? That is the year 2000’s big hat trick?

O well, surely 2020 will be an awesome futuristic time to be alive…

:expressionless:

Go get em, 2050?

7 Likes

It’s up to the smart people not to encourage the dumb people.

So let’s not do trick or treating this year. There is a potential way to do it safely, but so very many will fuck that up. Even the ones who think they are smart.

8 Likes

I’m located in LA County (Long Beach) and where LA City goes, our city follows. I thought about leaving bags of goodies and asking them to take one, but kids tend to do one of three things: they’ll take one, they’ll hesitate and ask for permission, or they’ll take way more than what they should (usually that’s the little guys who just don’t understand…kind of cute).

While we love our young neighbors and love looking at their costumes, the kids and their families always congregate on the sidewalks. It’s really not good for any social distancing, so for the sake of my community I really hope the parents keep them from going door to door by creating something super fun for them to do at home.

At this point, I may just buy bags of candy and drop them off on our neighbors’ porches.

7 Likes