Boo! Los Angeles bans trick-or-treating on Halloween

that sugar hangover.

But also LA, so agave, brown, monkfruit, sugar, rice snack, sherried sweets and aspartame hangovers? Maybe one for the vanillin in parsnips…have to have an ‘unsharing’ event there, too. Maybe there’s sports betting but agreeing to put it into a variety of snax? There’s already a DLC for Steam/Doublefine Costume Quest. Q/R code game challenges (but reeled in some way…Shin Megami Tensei only/tournaments only?)

7 Likes

Aim 2050, hit celebratory joychain 2025 if you miss well enough? (Chain festa? Conduct compliance merriment?)

7 Likes

Creativity will again rule the day.

1 Like

15 Likes

Trunk or treating? @subextraordinaire Was that really a thing in parts of LA?

1 Like

The only times I’ve heard it here in the US midwest was in relation to churches holding events in their parking lots. Not exactly sure what their motivation is, but I try not to think about it.

1 Like

With that kind of candy? No hangover, but there’s going to be a de-TP’ing or two that’ll be performed come Sunday morning on the houses that handed out that 21st century equivalent of raisins and toothbrushes. Or would have. Bah, even my jokes wither under the COVID onslaught.

Wow, due to pushback the county walked back their ban in less than a day. Now instead of being banned it’s just not recommended:

Edit to add: I’ll bet this change had as much to do with business interests as it did with public sentiment. Halloween is the #2 holiday in the US for retail spending. And in 2005 the candy lobby successfully convinced the federal government to change the date of the daylight savings time shift to include Halloween so that there would be more daylight to facilitate trick-or-treating. The county health department never stood a chance against that kind of influence.

4 Likes

If we ban Halloween, the Xtians win.

2 Likes

Time to fire up the “war on halloween” hype machine?

3 Likes

At least we know who to TP now. . .this is a very bad idea, that will generate nothing but death and dramatic clickbait headlines.

My guess is the politician who had the brilliant ban idea actually sat down and thought it through, you know, after spouting the order. They did the math and the result of their ridiculous mandate was pictures of parents being arrested with a child dangling from their hand dressed as thomas the train. Politicians don’t like to loose elections and since that is the primary and overarching driving force in their decisions they reversed to what they should have said in the first place.

1 Like

We don’t have kids and I haven’t seen or heard of this in my area. Maybe the Health Dept is good at anticipating innovation?

Perhaps they got reports of our neighbor who was operating a drive through Bloody Mary and Margarita happy hours during the first lockdown. It was a CF. People would also block the sidewalk, so we had to walk on the street where we almost got hit by a “patron” who pulled away without looking.

They stopped having these so I think someone said something.

3 Likes

It’s definitely a phenomenon in Southern California. Sometimes in church parking lots, sometimes other places. My impression is that it’s for parents who are either too scared or too lazy to take their kids door-to-door through neighborhoods, or else just don’t trust candy given out by strangers and prefer candy from people in their own church or social circle.

My neighborhood is a safe one and normally has an extremely active trick-or-treating scene, with many, many kids obviously driving in from surrounding neighborhoods, which is great. But even so, the church at the end of my street still does their trunk-or-treat events, probably because there are paranoid parents out there who heard some urban legend growing up about a creep putting razor blades in candy bars.

Edit to add: many trunk-or treat events usually happen on weekends, even when the 31st is on a weekday, so a big part of the phenomenon may be about scheduling convenience as well.

3 Likes

There was a major panic about razor blades in apples in the 80s to go along with the satanic panic, so it was a way to keep kids “safe” and to stop them from going to satanic houses that will most assuredly kidnap them and sacrifice them to satan.

I’m not joking.

8 Likes

That’s bullshit. This is going to be yet another super spreader event… it’s like people don’t give a shit if they get others sick and kill them.

Sure, vulnerable people dying in hospitals is far easier to ignore than good white people being arrested… :roll_eyes: I mean, the hardest hit people aren’t middle class whites, so who gives a shit, right? /s

9 Likes

Reversed it. Los Angeles is bigger than my state. HALLOWEEN has been reduced in MA.
WTF rest of America?

At 10.4 million in population, LA county is bigger than 41 states. It’s bigger than the smallest 10 states plus Washington DC combined. The electoral college and apportionment of US Senators is so F’d up. But I digress…

6 Likes

What?? Really? NO!!! You idiots! You want to trick or treat in the dark!!!

4 Likes
4 Likes