We're getting a Spirit Halloween movie, whether we like it or not

Originally published at: We're getting a Spirit Halloween movie, whether we like it or not | Boing Boing

1 Like

I think of Spirit Halloween stores like a species hermit crab that makes itself at home in the discarded husks of other organisms.

12 Likes

It will be interesting to set this film next to either ScoobyDoo or Goonies.

1 Like

Goobie Doo, or Scoonies!

2 Likes

Eh, I gotta watch a Rob Zombie film about a scrappy paywall that prevents dumbness worldwide. (It would be a newspaper film, but it isn’t.)

5 Likes

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

There are worse problems facing us, honestly…

4 Likes
2 Likes

My fave cover of that…

4 Likes

Spirit Halloween setup in a vacant space at a local mall , then proceeded to sell Pocahontas costumes and other culturally inappropriate items. Mall management got flack from Indigenous community, said tough shit, retailers can sell whatever offensive items they want, long as the rent gets paid.

1 Like

That’s microcosm of American History :+1:

1 Like

I read the rules for the $13,000 sweepstakes Spirit is running to promote the movie that promotes them. There are some hilariously odd bits in there.

… open to legal residents of the United States (including the District of Columbia and Hawaii) and Canada (excludes Quebec residents) …

Are the folks at corporate not aware the Hawaii has been a state for a while now? And if they call out Hawaii explicitly, shouldn’t they also include Alaska? Sorry Quebec, apparently this U.S. corporation doesn’t want to be bothered translating the rules and marketing materials into French.

Participants must be 18 years old or older to enter and win.

That’s an interesting way to promote a kid’s movie.

[2 ways to enter the sweepstakes] or (3) guests can handprint their name and mail in a business size (#10) envelope to: Spirit Halloween Superstores the Movie Sweepstakes, 6826 Black Horse Pike, Egg Harbor Township, Attn: Marketing Department.

“Guests”?! I assume that, if you want to know whether you win, you might also have to provide some contact information along with your handprinted name. Finally, if you want the post office to deliver your entry, you’ll probably have to supplement that address with a state and postal code.

In the case of a selected winner who is a Canadian resident, s/he must also answer, without assistance of any kind, whether mechanical or otherwise, a mathematical skill testing question posed by telephone or email.

I’m guessing this odd requirement is to comply with an anti-gambling statute that prohibits games of pure chance. Is counting on your fingers considered mechanical assistance?

Jury Trial Waiver: Except where prohibited by law and as a condition of participating in this Sweepstakes, entrant hereby waves any right it may have to a trial by jury in respect of any litigation directly or indirectly arising out of, under, or in connection with this Sweepstakes, any document or agreement entered into in connection herewith and any of the transactions contemplated hereby or thereby.

Will Spirit agree to binding arbitration or trial by judge? Or have they simply declared themselves above the law in these matters?

Facebook, TikTok, Twitter and Instagram are in no way associated with or responsible for sponsoring, endorsing, or administering this Sweepstakes.

Still no word on Pinterest or YouTube, whose social media icons appear alongside the others.

1 Like

It would be digital assistance, surely.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.