Fans of Hallmark Christmas movies now have a convention all their own

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/14/theres-now-a-convention-spec.html

1 Like

They didn’t call it HollyCon so I’m not going. :rage:

10 Likes

The Hallmark Channel made 40 new Christmas movies this year alone? Good lord.

Well, I know what I’m doing for the next month or so.

8 Likes

Hiding…?

17 Likes

“ChristmasCon”? That’s pretty clunky. ChristmaCon has more zing.

6 Likes

Convention-goers get free swag!

7 Likes

20 Likes

Just ONCE I want to see a movie in which the protagonists attempt to save Christmas but fail. Just to mix things up a little.

18 Likes

Baking cookies?

6 Likes

Good for them! The Hallmark franchises aren’t really my thing, but I do have a lot of respect for how many of the movies incorporate puns into the titles.

6 Likes

That’s a Christmas to me!

2 Likes

Just stop watching It’s A Wonderful Life after he jumps off the bridge.

9 Likes

I can tell you there are times when I can really relate to the Grinch just wanting to spend a quiet evening alone with his dog.

12 Likes

I think you just found the perfect theme for the counter-convention! It could be called the GrinchGathering…:thinking:

4 Likes

Every year my wish to just not bother with the trimmings gets bigger and bigger. Hanging out with your friends, sane family members while sharing some food and exchanging gifts is still fine. But the trees and the decorations… just more hassle than I want to deal with.

7 Likes

Should we consider this as a harbinger of the end times?

4 Likes

I expect the convention to be attended by scads of thirtyish, well to do, extremely attractive businesswomen who inexplicably do not have a date for the Christmas party.

But it will work out for the best since none of them own cats.

4 Likes

I grew up with a mother who, when she was growing up, had a family that could never afford Christmas decorations. She has between 4 & 6 trees every year, themed bathrooms, and an ever growing number of Nativity scenes (to the point where my brother play Guess the Nativity Scene Count, which runs on Price is Right rules. I won with 14 one year, and I wasn’t exact on my guess).

My wife convinces me to put up one fake dwarf tree each year.

4 Likes

I have had fake trees since when I was much much younger the family figured real trees were why we got sick every holiday season. Yay allergies.

Happily I am fine as long as I don’t have to live in a house with one.

1 Like

I just assume that they left off a scene at the end, where George has a brief moment of clarity right before he drowns, and realizes that most of the movie has been like an occurrence at Owl Creek bridge.

4 Likes