Fantastic infographic of cannabis strains

As useful as a medicinal it can be, I’m sure this is just the tip of the cannibis woo woo that going to be flooding the market. If the can pretend to have different strains they can sell different strains. The next thing will be every damn Care center is going to be telling you how it can “align your chakra’s” and “balance your immune system”.

2 Likes

Are you suggesting that there are not different strains of cannabis?

I believe they are suggesting “strain” based effects based on little to no scientific backing per strain. Back when retail initiatives were being voted on, employees from medicinal shops out in the Seattle area touted anti-cancer properties and similar woo.

1 Like

Just want to say how happy I am recreational weed is on the California ballot this year!

Squee!

3 Likes

(whispers: we don’t ever (ever, EVER) want them to find out that those effects can be separated…)

1 Like

What’s your real issue? I sense a collision of 6.

Ehhh, that smokescreen may have been useful in California and the early days of decriminalizing medicinal weed, but doesn’t last in the presence of retail establishments.

1 Like

I had an experience once where a housemate of mine had a bad reaction to cannabis cookies that were particularly potent:

He wasn’t a smoker so that’s the first thing to factor in; he had almost zero tolerance.

Next is that the fool ate like 5 or 6 cookies within a 45 minute period of time, despite having been warned not to, repeatedly. (He didn’t believe that imbibing cannabis would get him high, because he “didn’t feel anything” at first.)

And the last important factor is that the cookies were not from a licensed dispensary, because they didn’t exist at the time; they came from a neo-hippe vegetarian housing co-op in Berkeley, which means the exact potency of that batch was unknown.

Long story short, I spent several hours that night watching over the dumbass as he went from drooling to have mild convulsions to literally trying to hump my leg, and back again.

Not fun, at all.

After that night my house council came up with some new rules regarding the baking and consumption of the ‘special cookies’; buyer, beware.

To sum up; I don’t think that merely observing that there are some rare but possible negative side effects of marijuana automatically makes you an “anti-legalization shill.”

7 Likes

It’s really a matter of degree. Some persons certainly can get too high and others have very bad experiences with marijuana affecting their personality. But it really comes down to how someone decides that marijuana is holistically harmful and overstates the harm to humankind that annoys persons. Neither story of which I could see anyone being angered by?

1 Like

There are different strains of cannabis the same way there are different strains of grapes that produce different kinds of wine.

As with wine, everyone’s mostly there for the primary fun drug, but other ingredients, which vary from strain to strain (residual sugar levels, polyphenols, resveratrol, and so on) can affect not only the taste, but also how the drug effects you, and what health benefits may accrue.

And, like alcohol, cannabinoids are available in a wide range of forms: natural forms like raw herb, kif, and hashish, concentrates extracted by solvents, and even synthetic THC.

We’re only beginning to understand the biochemistry of cannabinoids, and we know that both the cannabis high and the medicinal effects are a complicated interplay of at least three major ‘active ingredients’ (and probably several minor ones, including the other, less studied cannabinoids and the terpenes)

And the levels of all these ingredients can vary from strain to strain, due to strain-related genetics. (Strains can also differ from one grower to the next due to viticultural differences.)

The real issue I see is not that there are no differences between strains, but that effects of any one strain can vary from one user to the next, and from one grower to the next, so these charts are (necessarily) over-determined, and the effects listed should be understood as average or typical, not absolute.

But they’re a useful starting point for exploration, to find the strain(s) that suit you and your issues best.

(Oh, and the endogenous-cannabinoid signalling system you’re naturally equipped with,— the CB1 and CB2 receptors that cannabis effects — is heavily involved in immune-system modulation, so ‘balances your immune system’ is quite possible. Can’t really be dismissed as “woo-woo” without more research.)

3 Likes

The BC Compassion Club has been continuously operating since 1997.

The diagram does explicitly connect the strains to the chakras. The circles are in the traditional locations for the chakras, the colors seem to be those associated with the relevant chakras, and the molecular diagrams also parallel the symbols associated with the chakras. Compare the two. That’s no accident.

1 Like

I’ve only rarely gotten to a mildly “psychedelic” place with regular weed. But a few years ago I did smoke synthetic stuff, pretty sure it had JWH-018 or CP 47,497 or possibly HU-210.

Whatever it was it was a THC homolog, and blasted me into intense nearly immediate incapacitation and relentless closed eye visuals for about 15 minutes a hit.

That shit was crazy.

I’ve seen footage of people smoking DMT, and that’s the closest I can compare it to. At least mechanically, where you’re way too high to put the pipe down, and opening your eyes kind of is pointless because you won’t be able to process and perceive the information coming in.

1 Like

I cannot wait to see what capitalism has in store for the future of cannabis…

(80% serious, 11% sarcasm and 9% fearful)

3 Likes

Appreciate it. :slight_smile:

I am very much pro-legalization, but marijuana is still a drug and should be used with the same care, caution, and education as any drug, legal or illegal, prescription or over-the-counter.

1 Like

Just for accurate historical reporting, the BC Compassion Club Society has been a continuously operating medicinal facility since 1997. It is located in Vancouver, BC, and has always been medical.

Regarding the person who implied that all use is really recreational and that medicinal cannabis is a “white lie”, please ask that question of a person dying of cancer. See what they have to say about it.

2 Likes

I’ve experienced for myself that smoking hash only increased the anxiety I was feeling at the time and it wasn’t fun at all. I was a regular user at the time and was used to the very same stuff having a relaxing effect. So I totally believe reactions can be anything but pleasant, and by pretending that doesn’t happen, or that people can’t get a psychological dependence, general you is doing nobody any favours. We all know the arguments against legal weed are bullshit, we should not have to pretend it magical wonder stuff.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.