Far out Star Trek convention at mall in 1976

[Read the post]

6 Likes

Cue inevitable argument over the ‘Trekkies’ vs. ‘Trekkers’.

5 Likes

Dammit Jim, he’s a doctor not a reporter.

3 Likes

“He’s bleeding, do something, Bones!”

“Dammit, Jim, I’m a doctor, not a… wait.”

7 Likes

9 Likes

Dammit Papasan, your gif cuts off the best line: “That’s more uncomfortable than the uniforms.”

5 Likes

Don’t pick on me because I’m old and fat!

Ha Ha Ha!

2 Likes

Why do these old analog films have to be digitized before uploading?

We lose so much of the grain!

You can hardly tell that this film was once analog anymore, it’s so clean and pure. Ugh.

6 Likes

Amazing how thin most of the people were.

2 Likes

I went to a Star Trek convention in Boston in 1976, when I was 12. As I recall, it was a slightly more professional affair, at a hotel with conference rooms and a large dealer’s room. Man, I was a hardcore Trekkie in those days.

2 Likes

hooray for geek history being preserved! i was expecting the reporting guy to ask if that one dude was related t the wookiees from star wars, and then i remembered this was recorded in 1976. what a difference a year made.

3 Likes

Cue inevitable argument over the ‘Trekkies’ vs. ‘Trekkers’.

Nobody argues that anymore. The inevitable thing is that someone will bring it up.

7 Likes

By far, one of the strangest things I’ve ever seen, and I used to work at WalMart…

1 Like

I need to have that background music playing everywhere I go.

PS: I still have the badge from the '75 convention at the Commodore Hotel.

2 Likes

It’s Scotty, as incomprehensible as ever!

2 Likes

Bur Super 8 does not have a sound track. Was it recorded in parallel on a C-30, or lovingly recreated with crappy audio?

1 Like

Not to mention the difference eleven years would have made when the reporter might have asked, “Hey, are you John Candy?”

4 Likes

How did they get hold of the evil James Doohan, from the Mirror, Mirror universe?

4 Likes

Sorry, but nope. A version of Super 8 was release 3 years prior to when this was shot, that had sound capabilities, via a mag strip along the edge of the film.

9 Likes

Inevitably…