Far-right speaker Charlie Kirk's "warm welcome" at Northern Arizona University proves the kids are alright

Sure. The university can also invite flat-Earthers to the geography dept., creationists to the biology dept, crystal healers to the medical faculty, etc.

34 Likes

28 Likes

My head would not be described as tiny either!

14 Likes

Polite debate with fascists…

40 Likes

They are disputing his views. In an appropriate manner for Nazis.

28 Likes

The only reason to give a platform to Nazis is so you can hang them there.

13 Likes

It’s customary when universities invite a speaker to pay them a fee as well as providing their transportation and lodging.

Aside from not wanting to give him a veneer of legitimacy no matter the supposed intent wouldn’t it be better if the university spent its money on other things?

28 Likes

If debating fascists is effective, why are there still fascists?

A debate with a dishonest actor isn’t a symmetrical zero-sum event. People like Kirk win the moment they step on the stage at an otherwise respectable institution.

35 Likes

An oldie but a goodie:

You don’t offer Nazi’s the courtesy of a respectful hearing unless you think there is a chance they might be right. If this is the case, then you are a Nazi. Q.E.D.

37 Likes

26 Likes

They punched him?

Rubbing Hands Disagree GIF

17 Likes

But Charlie Brown is a kind and sympathetic figure.

A Good Man, one might say.

17 Likes

IMG_0564

11 Likes

I sympathize with Charlie Brown.

I despise Charlie Kirk.

17 Likes

I would gladly be the Lucy to this particular Charlie. (The football pulling one, not the doctor is in one.)
Good on those students. Truly heartening.

16 Likes

I was coming here to point this out myself.

Charlie Kirk does not care what we think of him. He only cares about those fat paychecks for speaking. That’s what makes assholes like him so frustrating. :man_shrugging:

17 Likes

As others have pointed out, Kirk isn’t going to come to campus ready for an honest, good faith discussion.

Also, there is no need to invite a person to a campus in order to refute their ideas. There are plenty of other forums, both online and in public where this can occur. We know his thesis and it has been dismantled over and over again. Plus, much like Trump avoided a primary debate, Kirk isn’t going to sign up for a debate where he knows that he’ll be refuted or discredited.

13 Likes

Oh! I’d never heard that term before! Thanks!

13 Likes

I think it’s just meant to be making fun of the roundness of Charlie Kirk’s head by implying it looks like Charlie Brown’s. Maybe?
If not, I share in your non-comprehension.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it be better to STOP telling trans people their right to existence is something we consider debatable?

18 Likes