Far-right speaker Charlie Kirk's "warm welcome" at Northern Arizona University proves the kids are alright

Originally published at: Far-right speaker Charlie Kirk's "warm welcome" at Northern Arizona University proves the kids are alright | Boing Boing

6 Likes

5 Likes

Right-wingers will use this as an example of so-called “liberal intolerance on campus”, but who cares? Showing fascists like Kirk that the majority is against them is one of the most effective protest tactics available to those who care about liberal democracy and social equity.

30 Likes

I couldn’t give a flying crap about Charlie Kirk’s feelings. Right wingers ban books, attack libraries and get entire departments at colleges removed. He can handle a little entirely planned hostility.

You don’t fight fascists by a sense of fair play or pretending they adhere to the same rules as you do.

32 Likes

I’m curious about how many people would turn out wanting to actually listen to this turd-stain that were surprised by the large mob. Do they not realize who he is, or what he says? Or was their upbringing so racist, homophobic, or whatever, that they are true believers and even a chanting mob of hundreds of their friends and fellow students won’t get them to question their beliefs?

11 Likes

unimpressed neon lights GIF

16 Likes

It reinforces their beliefs. It’s the missionary effect. Sending missionaries out into the world to get pushed back against their beliefs let’s them feel ostracized. Then they can go back to their home group and that group can say “See, they hate you, you belong here!” whether the belief is correct or not.

Charlie Kirk says liberals are strange and weird, but he’s just seeing diversity and is scared of it.

16 Likes

I admit I often don’t understand political cartoons, but this one is right over my head. Charlie Kirk is Charlie Brown, and there’s a red checkmark, and WikiHow draws it? I’m not smart.

I think that’s one of the best things about this kind of thing: it sends a loud and clear message that “this is not normal.” You can’t be integrated into the larger community at the university and also believe it’s it’s normal to listen to this guy.

9 Likes

We can at least hope they think an independent thought for a moment.

5 Likes

Wow, I’d never heard it described as such, but it is incredibly accurate. I grew up crazy evangelical and way back in the ‘80s they were saying how persecuted they were while also stumping for cash for the next mission trip. Seeing that discrepancy was one of the earliest fractures in my “faith”.

Yes. For some reason I was blessed with skepticism, but I don’t have a single other friend from youth who was raised similarly that broke away. They got more and more adamant as they grew older and are now exactly the sort of people who see Kirk as a righteous soul.

We don’t talk anymore.

12 Likes

Wouldn’t it be better to actually INVITE the guy for purposes of refuting and discrediting him?

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

That guy can fuck off. He does not deserve to be dignified with a response… If you need to have a fucking debate about why fascism is bad, then head on over to any number of websites that has decided that we need to have this discussion once more… We do not need it though. The morally correct answer is that the fascists are wrong, however they frame their arguments and try to dress it up as proper discourse…

Satre said it best, talking specifically about anti-semites, but it applies to all fascists, whoever they target for their genocidal rage…

“Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.”

― Jean-Paul Sartre

These people are NOT arguing in good faith, and it’s really a waste of everyone’s time to treat them as if they are…

38 Likes

Huge moon shaped head and a loser

8 Likes

Sure, sure. Let’s just invite anyone and everyone to speak at a university. Since we all have infinite time, there’s no need to set any kind of bare minimum bar for that kind of thing. /s

25 Likes

Not every person or position is worthwhile of engaging in intellectual debate.

debate

30 Likes

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Signed, size 8+

11 Likes

Season 3 No GIF by HULU

25 Likes

This is what people like Kirk think of your right to free speech and diversity

22 Likes

debate-batboy

16 Likes

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet