Fark founder and Boing Boing friend Drew Curtis is running for governor of Kentucky

[Permalink]

Move to Kentucky? Uhh… I dunno. Maybe let’s have another happy mutant runn in Austin, then I won’t have to move anywhere.

Good luck, Drew! We are rooting for you!

But I am not moving to Kentucky.

6 Likes

Yknow, it’s always cool to badmouth “all politicians,” but I think the current governor has done a pretty good job with the whole health care thing.

When a candidate says “not beholden to the party masters,” they’ve pretty much given up on even getting the nomination. Is the guy so wealthy he doesn’t need any backers at all? Also, it’s almost an admission that one or more of their policies is so crazy neither party will even consider it… which kind of makes a write-in candidacy tough too.

Drew is an incredibly smart person. I am quite interested to learn how he intends to go about this, but do not doubt he has a very good plan in mind and that it very may well be game changing.

4 Likes

We (Kentuckians) already have a congressman like that. John Yarmuth was already so stinking rich when he went into politics that he doesn’t owe anyone really and has done a great job so far.

2 Likes

Should you move to Kentucky first, so you can help him win?

2 Likes

Nah. Find a recently dead person and cast their vote for them. It’s the American way.

2 Likes

I thought the American way was for recently dead people to stand for election?

1 Like

They just look like death warmed over because they had sold their souls for power. Don’t worry, they get the nutrients they need from eating babies.

2 Likes

I’ll be thrilled if you’re right - but I’m sticking with believe-it-when-I-see-it.

EDIT: Here’s what people are saying who pay close attention to this stuff:

1 Like

Is it?

As I understand it, the penalties for voter fraud are plenty high enough to dissuade almost everyone from doing that.

fraud by individual voters is a singularly foolish and ineffective way to attempt to win an election. Each act of voter fraud in connection with a federal election risks five years in prison and a $10,000 fine, in addition to any state penalties.18In return, it yields at most one incremental vote. That single extra vote is simply not worth the price

3 Likes

If he won you know a bunch of FARKers would try and show up and then all the Total FARK assholes would shove them out.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see the campaign ads that talk about his opponents sharp knees

1 Like

Plato is wrong?
Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.

• Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)

what he actually said “Good men are unwilling to rule, either for money’s sake or for honour… So they must be forced to consent under threat of penalty… The heaviest penalty for declining to rule is to be ruled by someone inferior to yourself. That is the fear, I believe, that makes decent people accept power…”

3 Likes

He says there are 50- to 60.000 farkers with great geographical spread, just in Kentucky . His wife Heather agreed to be his running mate. How can that fail? She had one condition, that this thing not bankrupt them. They ask for five bucks and I suspect they’ll have quite a few more international foreign financial backers to feed their squirrel than a typical Kentucky candidate.
The campaign kicked off with this quote:

“It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.” – Douglas Adams

Heather and Drew Curtis are not easily scared and in for the right reasons.
Drews announcement.

3 Likes

No way. Plato was right. And so was Douglas Adams (1952AD – 2001AD).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.