Fascinating video essay on the origins and philosophy of post-punk

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/28/fascinating-video-essay-on-the-origins-and-philosophy-of-post-punk.html

1 Like

Contributed by Natalie Dressed

4 Likes

Posted in Da Musicz thread by @mindysan earlier in the week.

I’m a big fan of Mark Fisher but when I read him I didn’t actually know much about his earlier association with Nick Land.

One of the most sussy humans on the entire planet if you don’t know him.

I have a few of his Zero Books imprint by him, Laurie Penny, and a couple of other people I’ve forgotten. I do remember one of the incredibly rare times a canvasser called to me (and the only time it was someone who had a chance of getting my vote) and I pulled down a copy of a book espousing radical environmentalism as a tool to destroy capitalism and redistribute wealth published by Zero Books and the Social Democrats couldn’t get out of my house fast enough!

I do agree that the British post war social democracy had a unique output in educated working class intellectuals and artists. They made damn sure to close all that off. English pop stars now are stockbrokers daughters and English actors are now more ethnically diverse but the white ones are all unbelievably upper class.

3 Likes

If you like post-punk and/or industrial, Martin Atkins (Public Image, Killing Joke, NIN, Ministry, Pigface) started a museum in Chicago. It has some pretty cool stuff I hope to check out one day.

2 Likes

This is is pretty endemic in British society as a whole.

For example, I like what Grace Blakely says regarding wealth inequality.

But then I remember she’s a privately-educated Oxford graduate, and I feel my resentment of the well-to-do rising to the surface.

The rational side of me says that the fight against wealth inequality shouldn’t turn away any advocates, no matter their social standing.

But the other side of me sees red and resents the fact that she’s commenting on life experiences she hasn’t lived.

Intellectual pursuits in the UK are swinging back to being the sole purview of the gentry. Higher education no longer being free has successfully scared off those who’ve lived their whole lives on the breadline.

Although I do hold out hope for music, as music production has effectively been democratised by technology; the London alternate music scene is still thriving.
And IDLES, another excellent Bristolian band (my original neck of the woods), are very effectively flying the flag of the angry working classes.

“The best way to scare a tory is to read and get rich.”

5 Likes

… I am still not convinced

The amount of material being uploaded to BandCamp, TikTok and YouTube every day would seem to suggest DIY cultural production is doing just fine

1 Like

I am not sure I’ve his books, but I did read his k-punk blog from time to time… the fact that he was associated with Land… :thinking:

It might have passed already, but Connelly was supposed to be hosting a tour there at some point this summer.

https://chrisconnelly.com/

Looks like it’s literally tomorrow, for anyone in the Chicagoland area would like to go check it out.

It has, but the means of production still matter here. The industry has gone after each new iteration of technology that could create a more democratic landscape. They’ve never been able to completely destroy alternatives, but they’ve been pretty good at starving them of oxygen at times or usurping via corporate take overs or convincing some to come to the darkside.

Agreed. But some of those are still on corporate platforms, which comes with some thorny issues.

4 Likes

That would be cool. I did attend a virtual tour Martin did a year or so ago. Some really neat stuff in there! (and as someone who has worked at two museums, I would love a grant to go in there and better preserve some of the things in Mylar, behind UV blocking glass, etc.) It’s a pretty awesome archive!

In other Chris Connelly news: while his individual contribution I don’t think one can pick out - he is part of the PIG Choir on the song Dum Dum Bullet on PIG’s new album, Red Room. It’s a really solid song, IMO.

1 Like

Oh thanks! He has a new album out (as of April, too)… If you buy the physical copy, you get a drawing and signed CD artwork!

1 Like

Jeeze Louise, that’s a good deal. I will try to remember to get it next week on bandcamp Friday.

1 Like

Yeah, I need to pick up a copy too… I only recently found out about it (even though I’m on his mailing list - he sends stuff out only sporadically).

Also, new video full of baby Chris… :sob:

1 Like