Fashion designer's robotic "Proximity Dress" automatically poofs out for physical distancing from the wearer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/05/robotic-proximity-dress-ro.html

6 Likes

Well that’s… something. I actually sort of like the overall look of the dress, but the spider dress is just sooooo much cooler.

5 Likes

Ok, I like the look of it and the responsiveness is interesting, but it’s going to attract attention and draw in people and still allows them to get entirely too close. I have a better solution!

Full photo posted to Pillowfort. You don’t need an account to view.

9 Likes

What is that shirt (looks cool!), and what are those boots (look comfy!)?

1 Like

Why thank you! The shirt is a pentagram in genderqueer pride colors. I wish I could say where I got it, but it was a present. The boots are Magnum brand and are pretty comfortable. It took me a while to settle on what to wear when I’m presenting more feminine, but seeing what many of my cisfemale friends wear, I tried boots with skirts and found them quite acceptable! (The socks, of course, are from Sock Dreams.)

5 Likes

Thank you!

8 Likes

This is what I envisioned from the title:

6 Likes

How about an automatic inflatable helmet, for when you get pushed backwards on to a hard surface.

(there was one of those in Snow Crash).

2 Likes

Starcraft, Kerrigan, Queen of Blades - I Must Go, My Zerg Need Me

4 Likes

They missed the chance to incorporate the old bike turn signal into the collar.

2 Likes

Awesome demonstration! I can get just shy of 6’ with full reach and my (stage steel) rapier, but I can only hold that position for a few minutes before my shoulder starts to give out. Your spear position looks way more comfortable!

2 Likes

My steel-pointed walking stick extending from my long arm gives me almost 6 feet of range. Alas, puncturing any who approach too close may be legally problematic. Guess I need a wide collar.

Wasn’t that about 3 seconds before the (unmasked) saurian deliberately spit an infection globule into the guy’s face? Probably not a social distancing role model.

i love her brain so much. her designs are just stunning. I had the privilege of working around and with sone of them in the past year.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.