Father fights back against protesters blocking traffic in NYC

Laugh Lol GIF

9 Likes

So tired of this dismissive, apathetic bullshit from people with so little skin in the game.

21 Likes

Yeah, the exhortations to be like MLK and protest like him have a pretty clear meaning - be like him in the sense of being dead (and easy to appropriate, as a bonus), and protest like him in the sense of doing so in the past, where no one in the present can be inconvenienced or even have to know anything about it.

12 Likes

“Pro genocide and ethnic cleansing activist assaults peaceful citizens”

7 Likes

I’m not so sure they think that deeply about it. They have retconned MLK into “one of the good ones” who never offended the white folk. This, of course, is utter bullshit. But like always, they reimagine the past and then require all of us to treat that as fact. They’ve done it with pretty much all of American history after all. Remember “slavery as skill building?”

8 Likes

My bigoted uncles on my mom’s side swore he was “a Communist devil” who would ‘cause the collapse of society’ with his pursuit of equality.

No amount of revisionist history will ever make me forget their twisted hatred for MLK, (even after he had died) or that their negative feelings were not at all uncommon amongst many “decent White folks.”

12 Likes

No, but (being dead/in the past) is the foundation for their approval. It allows them to not think about it, to recast figures and events into less threatening, generally vague notions. The ideal protester is the one who isn’t around, the best protests are the ones they don’t have to think or know anything about (much less have to deal with). The ideal change is… the current status quo.

9 Likes

9 Likes

Seems like a lot of folks responding here don’t realize that many GOP states have passed anti-rioting laws that may have allowed the father to run over as many protestors as needed to get through.

This calls for facts not in evidence. I suspect most here are well aware of the asshole maneuvers the fascist party has made to quash protests. The discussion has been much more about whitewashing history.

5 Likes

On the contrary, many of us are actually well aware of the legal fuckery that is going on all around the country, but thanks for making unfounded assumptions…

7 Likes

Seems like you’re assuming “a lot of folks responding here” equate legality with morality, which several (most?) of us most certainly DO NOT.

6 Likes

Maybe people here are quite aware of the hit-and-kill bills but didn’t think it was relevant since this incident happened in New York. A state that doesn’t have one of those laws.

This wasn’t a father fighting back against posters blocking the road. It was a man using fatherhood as an excuse to have a temper tantrum

10 Likes

Could you phrase this in a form that doesn’t assume the rest of the BBS commenters are morons?

7 Likes

As someone who regularly organises or volunteers at protests, it’s safe to say that not only are people aware of these laws but they’re also watching out for the introduction of similar laws internationally like the UK’s recent draconian anti-protest laws.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.