Father unhappy about middle-school sex-ed poster

I am struggling to remember if it was 8th or 9th grade, but we covered all of those back in the day. Then again that was in the bastion of hippiedom that is rural Bavaria.

6 Likes

A phrase which should also be taught in sex ed classes for possible future need.

3 Likes

I thought the comments were rather hilarious. Then again, I live in Kansas so Iā€™m accustomed to being disappointed. Iā€™m actually quite surprised this list even exists in the ā€œcanā€™t teach evolutionā€ state.

1 Like

Maybe he thought it was a menu? I mean, thatā€™s not how I remember school lunches.

4 Likes

If I were a 13-year old at that school: ā€œJeez, now Iā€™m supposed to get all this done this year too?! Urg, like is so hard! ::angst angst angstā€

6 Likes

Any 13 year old is already aware of the items on that list. Heck, when I was 11, my friendā€™s 15 year old sister showed me her whisker biscuitā€¦and that was in the 1970s. Kids today are doing stuff like that even younger.

Read article, had tough time spotting the outrage.

Seemed like a parent asking questions about things that concern them. I guess Iā€™d be curious why the news is reporting it, means someone had to inform them, but dad gets at least some credit for taking an interest in his childā€™s life.

1 Like

That is another of Jane Austenā€™s universal truths.

Apparently I missed that terminology in sex ed.

4 Likes

Did you miss the part where he threatens to pull his kid out of this school unless they change the curriculum? Seems like outrage to me.

Asking a few questions, having The Talk with his daughter already and moving on would seem like an appropriate, non-drama, involvement.

5 Likes

Yes, I did miss that part because it didnā€™t exist in the article.

The story only claims he intends to remove his child from the class if the curriculum isnā€™t changed, not the school. This is his prerogative and happens all the damn time.

2 Likes

I knew without even clicking that this was the father of a daughter. I donā€™t know what it is with fathers of daughters and sex, but it seems to usually be a much bigger Thing than fathers of sons and sex, or mothers of sons/daughters. Part of me (uncharitably) wonders if itā€™s men who treated girls poorly back in the day (or were friends with those who did) freaking out on the assumption that what they were like is normal, except now the girl matters more, putting the shoe on the other foot.

6 Likes

One thing to be aware of is that many people in the presence of young girls start blathering about sex. A couple times I had to deliver a sharp kick to the shins under the table when some woman started free associating about sex around my daughter. Likewise there are many parents that seem determined to push their children into sexual promiscuity. if they were molested at 13, theyā€™ll start pushing their 13 year old to be sexually active. Middle school kids are a sort of Rorshach test for adults with sexual problems, which is often not the supposedly prudish parent.

Teen pregnancy is harder to maintain denial about. Especially once the baby is born and starts crying. Not teaching evolution doesnā€™t prevent evolution from making it very difficult to ignore a baby screaming. :smile:

2 Likes

Okay, my bad on the school switch. Apologies.

But I still think the word ā€˜outrageā€™ applies. I for one would have to be pretty outraged to talk to the media and switch my kidā€™s class. ā€˜Outrageā€™ can be pretty arbitrary from one person to another.

ETA: It has now been changed to ā€˜unhappyā€™, so everybodyā€™sā€¦ well, happy. :wink:

1 Like

They also ought to be teaching them the meaning of ā€œrapeā€ which is what happens when an adult has sex with a 13 year old.

3 Likes

What? Masturbation isnā€™t on the list? Wow.

Actually, it is. Thereā€™s a lot on the actual poster, including: holding hands, cuddling on the couch, talking (itā€™s on there twice!), saying ā€œI like youā€, holding hands, caressing, and grinding.

Well not with your dad. Ew.

Imagine the same poster, except about tobacco. We could probably find some folks that are OK with 13 year olds having sex, but wouldnā€™t let them smoke.

Maybe Iā€™m the prude here, but the idea of 13 year olds having sex, much less anal just makes my head spin. At that age I was playing with my friends on the Genesis, riding bikes, and in general being kids. I certainly wasnā€™t trying to figure out how to score. I mean sure 13 is when I first started masturbating and watching late night Cinemax, but thats a far cry from buttsecks.

2 Likes