FBI has no plans to share how it hacked into that iPhone with Apple or anyone else

[Read the post]

1 Like

File under DUH.

7 Likes

“If we say how we did it, Apple will come and take away our toy from us by patching it!”

2 Likes

I know how they did it - they paid somebody a million dollars!

5 Likes

So the FBI (a law enforcement organisation, apparently) is saying that there can be no exceptions in intellectual property rights even when it comes to preventing felonies whilst they should be given magical exemptions when it comes to accessing peoples data because reasons.

Nice to know.

5 Likes

They may not share, but didn’t they buy the exploit off some hacker? Is that person - and all their comrades - completely leakproof? I predict we will know inside of a year.

4 Likes

I am sure some other TLA domestic or foreign will come up with the right price for the information.

I’m not sure just what it is you folks want? The whole point to the argument that the government shouldn’t be allowed to break the iphone was that if the ability to break the encryption existed it would only take a short time before the code was let loose on the world for everybody to exploit. Yet now you folks are upset because the government doesn’t want to share how they did it. What changed?

1 Like

Who’s upset? I see some sarcasm and cynicism. Tell me you’ve never met a smartass hipster before.

1 Like

I’m sure glad the FBI is protecting us by sending over a million dollars to foreign hackers for absolutely no useful information. I would have expected a normal organization to just blunder through a multi-million dollar court case under false pretenses.

3 Likes

No one here has anything against security holes being reported to the responsibility parties so that they can be fixed. The opposite can be said about keeping a security flaw away from the responsible party such that it can’t be fixed. If the company that the FBI hired could find this security hole, it is only a matter of time before others find and exploit it. Which is what the FBI is most likely going to do themselves regardless of what they say. So original complaint still holds: the FBI now has a free key into any system (within the technical requirements of the hack).

4 Likes

Of course, the other possibility is that they haven’t hacked the phone at all, but said so to save face. After all, has there been any definite proof that this happened?

2 Likes

I was thinking along similar lines.

• If the FBI now has the ability to hack iPhones, it would behoove them not to share that fact so the people they want to spy on would falsely believe their data was safe.
  • If the FBI doesn’t have the ability to hack iPhones, it would behoove them to pretend they could so the people they want to spy on wouldn’t use them.
4 Likes

Apple itself might decide it’s a reasonable price to pay. Through a proxy of course.

1 Like

I think you’re right. Pics or it didn’t happen.

Apple will figure it out, no doubt, if they haven’t already. I wonder if they will announce the fix when it is sent out, to bolster consumer confidence, or if they will quietly push it out in an iOS update and let the feds pound their heads against a wall wondering why their hack isn’t working?

cyber products

Sounds like bad 90s marketing speak.

• This sounds like the equivalent of buying drugs on the street to perform a sting operation, and then saying that they can’t identify or prosecute the dealer or the drug they used in their pursuit of “justice”

Much less hypocritical and unethical if the actions they took weren’t illegal in the first place.

Is a FOIA request applicable here?

The FBI should pay Apple damages for barratry.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.